Doctors, surgeons, and other healthcare professionals are highly trained and highly educated in their fields. When we get sick or injured, we trust them to make accurate diagnoses, provide care that’s appropriate for our health problems, and take the necessary precautions to prevent complications from occurring.
But like everyone else, medical providers can make mistakes. However, some medical mistakes are due to carelessness and negligence on the part of healthcare professionals. Common examples of negligent mistakes include failing to consult patient charts, leaving medical equipment inside patients’ bodies, operating on the wrong body parts, or prescribing the wrong medication.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke medical malpractice lawyers have seen the devastation that medical malpractice can cause patients and their families. If you or someone you love were recently treated by a healthcare professional and your health has worsened, there’s a chance you suffered from negligent care.
Medical malpractice isn’t always obvious, and sometimes it takes an experienced law firm to review the facts and determine if and when it happened. When you choose us to handle your malpractice claim, we’ll review all of the facts concerning what happened, including your health before and after your treatment and the potential mistakes or oversights that occurred while you were in the care of your doctor or surgeon.
Then, we’ll calculate how much money the malpractice may have cost you, and we’ll fight to get you every penny that you and your loved ones deserve. Contact us today for a free consultation. We’re ready to help.
Big trucks are essential parts of the modern U.S. economy. They’re responsible for transporting consumer goods thousands of miles, coast to coast, every day. But because of our nation’s dependence on those goods, trucks are becoming more and more common on highways and interstates—and that can create an increased risk of accidents.
In response to the threats that big trucks pose to other motorists, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), an extension of the U.S. Department of Transportation, created a list of requirements and regulations for the industry. Those rules apply to all parties involved in the industry, including truck drivers, owners, and companies.
However, those requirements and regulations are sometimes at odds with profits, and that means they’re ignored or violated. When FMCSA rules are broken and accidents occur, victims can file claims for compensation for expenses such as medical bills and lost wages.
A Roanoke truck accident lawyer at Skolrood Law Firm can review your truck accident for the following industry violations:
- Unqualified driver—Truck drivers in the U.S. must hold valid commercial driver licenses as well as certifications for oversized and specialized loads.
- Overloaded trailer—Trucks have weight limits on Virginia and U.S. roadways, but some trucks are overloaded to increase profits.
- Poorly maintained truck—Trucks are designed to drive for hundreds of thousands of miles, but they still need regular maintenance to ensure they’re safe on the road.
If your truck accident involved an FMCSA violation, we’re ready to pursue maximum compensation for you and your loved ones. Call us today for a free consultation.
Brain injuries can affect every part of your life. They can affect your ability to get out of bed and dress yourself, your ability to work and earn a living for your family, and even your ability to communicate with your loved ones.
At Skolrood Law Firm, we’ve seen firsthand how devastating brain injuries are for victims and their families. When traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) cause victims to lose their independence or make them rely on in-home nurses and healthcare aides, the expenses can be enormous and more than many families can afford.
That’s why it’s our goal to help victims and their loved ones get the compensation they deserve after such profound injuries. When you call our team of Roanoke brain injury lawyers, it’s our goal to help you by taking the following steps:
- We’ll calculate how much the TBI will cost your family. Our lawyers won’t just fight to get you the money you deserve today—we’ll fight to get you the money you deserve in the future, too. That includes current and future lost wages and medical bills.
- We’ll negotiate with the insurance company. Insurance companies are in business to make big profits, and that means they’re always looking to pay as little as possible to claimants. We know their tricks, and we won’t give up until we get an offer that’s fair for you.
TBIs are serious injuries that can have serious consequences on your family’s future. Get the experienced legal representation you deserve to maximize your chances of receiving full compensation. Call today for a free consultation.
With summer in full swing, there are plenty of motorcyclists on Virginia’s streets, highways, and interstates at any given time.
Most motorcyclists are well aware of the risks they face every time they head out to ride, and that’s why you’ll see many wearing full gear, including their riding jacket, pants, helmet, gloves, and boots.
But even if motorcyclists like you take all of the necessary precautions, you can still be seriously injured if you’re involved in an accident with another vehicle. That’s because motorcycles have no built-in safety features to protect riders.
To make matters worse, it can be extremely difficult for injured riders to get compensation for their injuries. That’s because insurance companies are often biased against motorcyclists, and their adjusters may believe that motorcyclists themselves are to blame for their accidents.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke motorcycle accident attorneys fight to dispel negative stereotypes and biases that cause innocent riders like you to be denied a chance to get compensation for your accident-related expenses. When you choose us to handle your claim, we achieve that by taking the following steps:
- We’ll prove the accident wasn’t your fault—Our legal team will collect evidence that shows the driver caused the crash, including the police accident report, witness statements, and even accident reconstruction data.
- We’ll prove your injuries occurred during the crash—Insurance companies can and often do deny victims compensation if they don’t believe their injuries are linked to a particular accident. We’ll collect medical reports and even call on expert medical witnesses to prove your injuries were a direct result of the crash.
Let us help you get the respect, attention, and outcome you deserve from the insurance company. Call our legal team today for a free consultation.
Whether you’re pursuing a claim on your own or with the help of an attorney, one of the first things you’ll realize is that the burden of proof falls on you. That means you must prove to the insurance company that you weren’t at fault for the crash, that your injuries are real, and that your injuries are linked to the accident.
Unfortunately, insurance companies are often skeptical of car accident claims right away. That’s because they’re eager to both protect their profits and avoid paying out money to people who are trying to commit insurance fraud.
Thankfully, there are other parties you may be able to lean on during this time who can help you establish the facts of your case and increase your chances of getting full compensation. Those parties include:
- The responding police officer—When you call 911 after an auto accident in Virginia, a police officer will be dispatched to the scene. He or she will survey the accident and create a report of what happened. That information can serve as evidence to support your claim.
- The witnesses who saw the crash happen—Statements from neutral third parties can help prove who was at fault for your crash and establish your innocence.
- The healthcare professionals who treated you after the crash—Getting immediate medical attention is important not only for protecting your health, but also for protecting your rights. The doctors and nurses who treat you will create a record of your injuries, and that can be used to directly link your injuries to the crash.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke car accident attorneys utilize all relevant parties and information as we fight to get victims the compensation they deserve after a crash. Call us today for a free consultation.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke wrongful death lawyers have helped many families like yours after the death of a loved one.
We know that you’re going through one of the most difficult times in your life. Dealing with the legal process, the insurance company, and the paperwork that goes along with filing a claim may seem like the last thing you want to do.
It’s important to remember that the loss of a loved one can affect you in many ways, including financially. That’s especially true if the deceased was the major or primary income-earner for your household. Just as victims and their families can file claims for compensation after negligence-related accidents and injuries, so too can surviving family members after negligence leads to deaths.
In addition to getting compensation for things like your loved one’s lost wages, funeral costs, and medical bills, as well as your pain and suffering and loss of companionship, filing a wrongful death lawsuit can also help deter future negligence in the form of punitive damages.
Punitive damages are awarded to victims’ family members after wrongful death claims, and they’re designed as a form of financial punishment for the responsible parties.
Pursuing compensation is a personal decision after the death of a loved one, but getting the money you and your loved ones deserve after your loss can help you move forward with your lives and honor the memory of the family member you lost.
To find out how we may be able to help you during this difficult time, call us or fill out a free consultation form.
The medical field changes and saves lives every day throughout Virginia and the world. Doctors, surgeons, and other healthcare professionals do their best to help patients get the treatment they need to recover from illnesses and injuries.
But sometimes, healthcare providers are negligent in the way they care for their patients—and that can put innocent patients at risk of suffering serious complications. Medical malpractice is rare, but when it happens, it can be devastating.
To make matters worse, hospitals and insurance companies are well aware of the potential for medical malpractice, and they immediately go on the offensive when potential cases occur. That means victims are often beaten to the punch by big multi-billion-dollar corporations, leaving them facing an uphill battle to get compensation.
At Skolrood Law Firm, we know that pursuing compensation for injuries and illnesses suffered due to medical mistakes can be intimidating, especially when you’re on your own. That’s why a Roanoke medical malpractice attorney is here to help.
We know the tricks that hospitals and insurance companies use to get victims to give up or accept lowball settlements. It’s our goal to help you get the full compensation you deserve, and we accomplish that by collecting evidence and conclusively proving that your health condition was worsened due to negligent healthcare.
The hospital and insurance company want to protect their profits—not pay out big settlements to victims like you. Don’t give them the upper hand. Call us today for a free consultation to find out how we may be able to help.
Temperatures and humidity have been high so far this summer in Roanoke, and that can make wearing full riding gear more uncomfortable than usual for motorcyclists.
But forgoing any aspect of riding gear can significantly increase the risk of serious injuries during accidents. “All the gear, all the time” is a common phrase in the motorcycle community, and it means that you should never ride anywhere, whether it’s a cross-country road trip or a short drive down the street, without proper protective gear.
Some riders may ride with only their helmets on during the summer to avoid the heat, but they risk many serious injuries, including:
- Road rash—Any exposed skin can be subject to painful and debilitating road rash during motorcycle accidents. There’s no part of the body that’s likely to be spared during a crash, and that’s why it’s vital for riders to wear gear that covers as much skin as possible.
- Lost digits—Gloves and riding boots do more than just protect skin—they can also protect fingers and toes from severe injuries that can result in severe nerve damage and partial or complete amputation. Gloves and boots that are designed for riding serve as an important line of defense during accidents, and riders should never get on their bikes without wearing them.
Motorcycle safety gear has come a long way in recent years, and it’s easy to find gear that’s breathable and comfortable, even when it’s hot outside.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke motorcycle accident lawyers know that wearing protective gear can reduce the risk of injuries, but it can’t reduce the risk of accidents—especially when other drivers are negligent.
If you were injured by a careless driver, we’re here to help. Call today for a free consultation.
Nursing homes are supposed to be places where people who have difficulty living independently can receive around-the-clock care and attention. But at some nursing homes, residents face mistreatment from staff members, including neglect and abuse.
At Skolrood Law Firm, it’s our goal to stand up for the rights of both mistreated nursing home residents and their family members. Not only are nursing homes supposed to abide by a strict set of guidelines established by the Virginia Department of Health, but they also must uphold residents’ rights in everything they do.
Unfortunately, some nursing homes fail to train or vet new employees, creating situations where staff members put residents in harm either directly or indirectly. If your loved one was harmed in a nursing home, it’s our goal to help in two important ways:
- Prove the nursing home was negligent—Whether it was due to relaxed hiring practices, ineffective management, or willful violations of state laws, we can investigate your loved one’s abuse or neglect to prove it originated with negligence.
- Link your loved one’s health problems to abuse or neglect—Proving a nursing home was negligent isn’t always enough to win—it’s also essential to prove the negligence caused health problems. We’ll use medical records and even expert witnesses to leave no doubt about what caused your loved one’s health problems.
It’s common for truck accident victims to face long roads to recovery, complete with expensive medical bills and weeks, months, or even years without steady income due to disabling injuries.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke truck accident lawyers have helped many victims during this difficult process, and we know that it can be tiring, frustrating, and nerve-wracking. But we also know that it’s a sensitive process, and insurance companies are always looking for ways to reduce or deny payments to innocent victims like you.
Some of the most common reasons that claims are reduced or denied are due to seemingly minor mistakes victims make in the aftermaths of their crashes. Some of those mistakes include:
- Waiting too long to get medical treatment—Injuries aren’t always obvious after crashes, and sometimes it takes a while for them to show up. But victims should always get medical attention right away after crashes. In addition to treating known injuries, it also rules out internal injuries and creates valuable evidence in the form of medical records.
- Waiting too long to call a lawyer—Truck accidents can involve multiple parties, and levels of responsibility may be shared among them. But when victims wait too long to begin pursuing their claims, evidence may disappear, making it difficult to determine who caused their crashes. In addition, statutes of limitations may expire when victims don’t act quickly.
With our experienced legal team on your side, you won’t have to worry about small mistakes costing you the money you need to move forward with your life. It’s our goal to handle everything for you while you focus on getting better. Call today for a free consultation.