Nursing homes are supposed to be places where people who have difficulty living independently can receive around-the-clock care and attention. But at some nursing homes, residents face mistreatment from staff members, including neglect and abuse.
At Skolrood Law Firm, it’s our goal to stand up for the rights of both mistreated nursing home residents and their family members. Not only are nursing homes supposed to abide by a strict set of guidelines established by the Virginia Department of Health, but they also must uphold residents’ rights in everything they do.
Unfortunately, some nursing homes fail to train or vet new employees, creating situations where staff members put residents in harm either directly or indirectly. If your loved one was harmed in a nursing home, it’s our goal to help in two important ways:
- Prove the nursing home was negligent—Whether it was due to relaxed hiring practices, ineffective management, or willful violations of state laws, we can investigate your loved one’s abuse or neglect to prove it originated with negligence.
- Link your loved one’s health problems to abuse or neglect—Proving a nursing home was negligent isn’t always enough to win—it’s also essential to prove the negligence caused health problems. We’ll use medical records and even expert witnesses to leave no doubt about what caused your loved one’s health problems.
It’s common for truck accident victims to face long roads to recovery, complete with expensive medical bills and weeks, months, or even years without steady income due to disabling injuries.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke truck accident lawyers have helped many victims during this difficult process, and we know that it can be tiring, frustrating, and nerve-wracking. But we also know that it’s a sensitive process, and insurance companies are always looking for ways to reduce or deny payments to innocent victims like you.
Some of the most common reasons that claims are reduced or denied are due to seemingly minor mistakes victims make in the aftermaths of their crashes. Some of those mistakes include:
- Waiting too long to get medical treatment—Injuries aren’t always obvious after crashes, and sometimes it takes a while for them to show up. But victims should always get medical attention right away after crashes. In addition to treating known injuries, it also rules out internal injuries and creates valuable evidence in the form of medical records.
- Waiting too long to call a lawyer—Truck accidents can involve multiple parties, and levels of responsibility may be shared among them. But when victims wait too long to begin pursuing their claims, evidence may disappear, making it difficult to determine who caused their crashes. In addition, statutes of limitations may expire when victims don’t act quickly.
With our experienced legal team on your side, you won’t have to worry about small mistakes costing you the money you need to move forward with your life. It’s our goal to handle everything for you while you focus on getting better. Call today for a free consultation.
If you were recently involved in a car crash, you have a lot of things on your mind, including when you and your loved ones will get better, how you’ll pay for your medical bills, and how soon you can go back to work.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke car accident lawyers know how difficult the days, weeks, and months after crashes are for victims and their families. That’s why we do everything we can to make this time as easy as possible for our clients.
You have enough on your mind after a crash that wasn’t your fault. Get in touch with us today and let us take some of the stress of the accident off your shoulders by assisting in the following ways:
- We’ll handle communication with the insurance company—Every time car accident victims speak with insurance adjusters, they risk losing their chances of pursuing compensation. That’s because adjusters are trained to use victims’ words against them to reduce or deny payments.
- We’ll gather and present paperwork on your behalf—When you’re recovering after a car accident, the last thing you want to do is hunt down police records and medical reports. Leave that up to our legal team while you focus on getting better.
- We’ll negotiate to get you maximum compensation—Insurance companies frequently offer victims “lowball” settlements that aren’t enough to pay for their accident-related expenses. You can count on us to calculate how much the accident cost you and to fight to get you that full amount.
We’re ready to help you move forward with your life after your car accident. Call today for a free consultation.
When an accident or injury causes damage to a bodily organ, the consequences can be severe and even life-threatening. But some organs have regenerative capabilities or the option of transplantation in the event of serious illness or injury.
The exception to that rule is the brain. When parts of the brain are damaged during accidents or due to illnesses, victims may not experience significant healing or recovery. That means traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) can have profound and lifelong effects on victims.
Some of the most common ways that TBIs affect victims include:
- Cognitive and personality changes—TBI victims may experience a reduction in their cognitive abilities. They also may experience changes in personality, and their general dispositions may change dramatically. Some victims may experience significant depression and anxiety after their injuries.
- Reduction in fine motor skills—TBI victims also may find it difficult to complete tasks that were previously easy for them, including driving, getting dressed, eating, and walking. That can make it impossible for some victims to hold down jobs or even live independently due to their newfound disabilities.
When TBIs are severe, victims may require around-the-clock supervision and assistance. That type of care can be expensive—especially when the victim is no longer able to work.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke brain injury lawyers help victims and their families recover the compensation they deserve after TBIs that were caused by another person’s or party’s negligence.
Get in touch with us today for a free consultation to find out how we may be able to help.
If you’re a motorcyclist, you know that you face a lot of hazards on Virginia’s roadways that may not affect drivers in cars, trucks, and SUVs. Potholes, loose gravel, and wet asphalt can cause even the most experienced riders to lose control of their bikes.
Other vehicles are another significant risk factor, especially when drivers aren’t actively looking out for motorcyclists. There’s no scenario more dangerous for motorcyclists than inattentive drivers who are making left turns.
Whether they’re at intersections or they’re turning from a stopped position in the middle of the road, drivers don’t always look for motorcyclists before turning left. And when motorcyclists are approaching their position, serious accidents can occur.
You can reduce your risks of being involved in this type of accident by:
- Spotting vehicles that may be turning left early—As you approach an intersection, be on the lookout for vehicles in left turn lanes. Stay focused on them as you get closer, and be prepared to slow down if one of the vehicles turns left into your path.
- Wearing brightly colored riding gear—One of the biggest reasons that drivers turn left into the paths of motorcyclists is because they don’t see them. Motorcycles are small and low-profile compared to cars, trucks, and SUVs. You can make yourself more visible by wearing safety gear that’s brightly colored and reflective.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke motorcycle accident lawyers are here to help if you or someone you love were hurt by a left-turning driver. It’s our goal to help you maximize your chances of getting the compensation you deserve. Call today for a free consultation.
Dealing with the death of a loved one can be overwhelming. You need time to grieve, but you also may be worried about how you and your family will stay on top of bills and everyday living expenses—especially if the deceased was the primary income earner for your household.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke wrongful death lawyers are here to take some of that burden off your shoulders. You shouldn’t have to spend time worrying about the legal side of your loved one’s death—you have enough to deal with already.
It’s our goal to do everything we can for you and your family. If you choose us to handle your case, you can find peace of mind knowing that our attorneys will:
- Collect evidence that proves your loved one’s death was avoidable—Whether your loved one was killed in a motor vehicle accident, a work-related accident, or due to a medical mistake, we’ll make sure the insurance company knows that his or her death was preventable, avoidable, and caused by another person’s or party’s negligence.
- Calculate how much money you’re owed—Medical bills, funeral expenses, and current and future lost income can turn many households upside down after a death. We’ll calculate how much you’re owed for your loss, and we’ll fight to maximize your chances of getting it.
Let us handle the paperwork and communication with the insurance company, while you focus on taking care of your family and honoring your loved one’s memory. Call today for a free consultation.
It’s normal for people who suffered injuries or developed illnesses to feel anxious and even apprehensive before visiting their doctors or going to hospitals to receive treatment. Those feelings are even more common before surgeries, including both out-patient and invasive procedures.
Despite the anxiety that patients feel, most trust the medical professionals in charge of their care to be attentive and cautious in everything they do. The unfortunate reality is that medical professionals are prone to making mistakes—and sometimes, those mistakes occur due to negligence.
A Roanoke medical malpractice lawyer at Skolrood Law Firm has helped many victims of healthcare provider mistakes get compensation for what they’ve been through.
Because of the complexities of medical malpractice claims, many myths are associated with them, including:
- Medical malpractice claims are mostly limited to surgical mistakes—While many medical malpractice claims are due to oversights such as operating on the wrong body part or leaving tools inside patients’ bodies, there are many other types of claims, including misdiagnosis, incorrect dosages of medications, and even unnecessary treatments.
- Acts of medical malpractice are unpreventable—While human error is a factor, most cases of medical malpractice are the result of carelessness or negligence and could have been prevented. It’s our goal to hold the responsible parties accountable for their negligence and help you get the compensation you deserve.
If you or someone you love were harmed while in the care of medical professionals, you deserve answers and a chance to get compensation for your malpractice-related expenses. Contact us today for a free consultation.
Being able to recall events, people, and places is one of the most unique and powerful gifts of the human mind. But our memories aren’t always perfect—especially when we try to recall traumatic or painful events we were involved in.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke car accident lawyers know that victims’ memories are powerful tools when we build claims to help them get compensation. However, we also know that they can be faulty and unreliable when details are recalled weeks, months, or even years after crashes occur.
That’s why we always recommend that victims write down the following information as soon as they’re able after accidents:
- The events leading up to the crash — It can be difficult to remember precisely what happened in the minutes or seconds before an accident, but that information can be vital for your case. Details such as the lane you were traveling in, whether you had a green light or the right of way at a stop sign, and general traffic conditions can help paint a more accurate picture of what happened.
- Contact information for the other driver and witnesses — Finding others who were involved in the crash or who saw it happen can be difficult after you’ve left the scene. If you’re able to do so, get contact information from anyone nearby before you leave the scene of the accident. You should also write down license plate numbers of vehicles that were involved.
The more information you can provide in the immediate aftermath of your crash, the better. When your memories match up well with witness statements and other pieces of evidence, it becomes more difficult for the insurance company to deny you the money you deserve. Call today for a free consultation, and let us get to work for you.
When tractor trailers are involved in crashes with smaller passenger vehicles, the outcome is often painful, disabling, and even life-threatening for drivers and occupants inside those sedans, SUVs, vans, and pickup trucks.
The trucking industry is heavily regulated to make big trucks as safe as possible on Virginia’s highways and interstates, but government-mandated guidelines aren’t always followed. Truck drivers don’t always adhere to mandatory rest periods, truck owners don’t always maintain their vehicles, and truck companies don’t always load their trucks evenly and safely.
When negligence occurs on the part of the people or companies involved with big trucks, serious injuries can occur, including:
- Brain injuries — Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) can range from concussions to more severe injuries that can be life-threatening and profoundly disabling. Truck accident victims can suffer TBIs from both direct impacts and from the sheer force of the accidents themselves.
- Broken bone injuries — Every part of the body is vulnerable during truck accidents, and victims may suffer from multiple broken bones. Compound fractures, especially those involving large bones like the femur, can be life-threatening.
- Soft tissue injuries — Muscles, joints, ligaments, and even nerves are all highly vulnerable during truck accidents. Some of the most debilitating crash-related injuries involve damage to soft tissue, and they can cause permanent disability and pain.
Those are just a few common injuries victims can suffer during truck crashes. If you or someone you love were hurt in a crash involving a semi truck, get in touch with a Roanoke truck accident attorney at Skolrood Law Firm. We’ll do everything in our power to get you the compensation you deserve. Call today for a free consultation.
Brain injuries affect entire families, and their repercussions can be felt for decades. People who suffer traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) may lose some or all of their independence, and they may need frequent or constant assistance from family members or caregivers.
In addition to requiring expensive medical care, rehabilitation, and living assistance, TBI victims also may lose their ability to work. That means their loved ones often face financial struggles, as they may find it difficult to balance the costs of losing an income while needing to hire nurses or reduce their own working hours to act as caregivers.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke brain injury lawyers want to help victims and their families get compensation for everything they’ve gone through, including:
- Medical bills—The medical costs associated with TBIs can feel overwhelming and never-ending. Patients often require lifelong care, and they may need around-the-clock help.
- Lost wages—TBIs often disrupt or eliminate the possibility of working and succeeding in a job or career. That means victims and their families may lose out on decades of income and earnings.
- Pain and suffering—TBIs have complications that are painful for both victims and their families. Changes in personality and cognition can change family dynamics and create challenging circumstances for everyone.
We know TBIs, and we know what it takes to win. Call today for a free consultation.