The brain is the most important organ in the body. It’s the seat of consciousness and controls both a person’s intellect and his or her personality. When it gets damaged due to an accident, violence, or a disease, it can forever change a victim’s life.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke brain injury lawyers know how devastating traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) are for both victims and their families. Moderate to severe TBIs can cause immediate, profound, and often permanent disabilities in victims, making it difficult or even impossible for them to live independently.
But new research proves that even relatively minor TBIs can have long-lasting impacts on victims. Simply put: any incident that damages the brain can be potentially devastating both in the short term and long term for victims.
TBI victims can file claims against persons or parties who cause them to suffer cognitive disabilities for a variety of damages, such as:
- Medical bills—People with TBIs often need immediate and critical medical attention, as TBIs can be fatal if they aren’t treated. Victims may require brain surgery, prolonged hospital visits, and rehabilitation to regain some of their independence and motor skills.
- Lost wages—TBI victims are frequently left permanently disabled, and that means they can no longer receive the paychecks their families depend on. Even victims who have disability insurance may receive only a fraction of the money they used to earn.
- Pain and suffering—TBIs can make it impossible to enjoy certain parts of life that previously brought victims joy. In addition, victims also frequently suffer from physical symptoms such as headaches, nausea, and sensitivity to light and noise.
We’re here to help you or your loved one get the money you deserve after your TBI. Call today for a free consultation.
After a crash that wasn’t your fault, you may be in shock due to your injuries and the implications that the accident will have on your life. You may be facing a long road to recovery, and it could be weeks, months, or even years until you’re able to go back to work.
If the crash was caused by another person’s or party’s negligence, there’s a good chance the insurance company will contact you. Unfortunately, insurance companies rarely have victims’ best interests in mind. Instead, they look out for their own profits—usually at the expense of the people who need compensation for accident-related injuries.
If you or someone you love were recently hurt in a crash, here are two tactics the insurance company may use that you should be aware of:
- Getting you to admit fault for the crash—Insurance adjusters may pretend to be friendly and understanding on the phone or via email, but their job is to reduce or deny claims. One way they do that is by getting victims to admit fault for crashes. Once victims go on record saying they may be fully or partially responsible, they may be ineligible to pursue compensation.
- Getting you to accept an initial settlement offer—Adjusters also know that many victims are often desperate for money after their accidents. Medical bills can quickly pile up, and when you’re not working, you may be unable to pay for them. But accepting an “initial” settlement means you may forfeit your right to pursue additional compensation later.
Nursing homes are responsible for providing safe and caring living spaces for some of the most vulnerable members of society, including the elderly and people with serious illnesses and physical disabilities.
But most nursing homes are also private businesses, and that means they’re built and run for one major purpose: generating profits. The pursuit of profits means that some nursing homes are dangerous for residents due to cost-cutting measures, such as understaffing, hiring underqualified staff members, and providing inadequate training for employees.
A Roanoke nursing home abuse lawyer at Skolrood Law Firm is dedicated to holding negligent nursing homes and their ownership/management teams accountable for harm suffered by residents due to abuse and neglect. Moving a loved one into a nursing home can be difficult for everyone in your family, but worrying about him or her being abused or neglected should never be a concern.
Nursing home residents in Virginia are granted many rights, including the right to dignity, the right to self-determination, the right to be fully informed of medical care and health status, the right to raise grievances, and many more. When residents are abused or neglected, many of those rights are violated.
Our law firm has zero tolerance for nursing homes that violate the rights of residents and the trust of their family members who pay big sums of money to provide them with what’s supposed to be a safe place to live. Get in touch with us today for a free consultation. It’s our goal to fight to get you and your loved one the compensation you deserve.
When someone is hurt in an auto accident and pursues a compensation claim against the other driver’s insurance company, they may face an uphill battle. But unless the injuries are catastrophic, insurance companies often cede to victims and offer settlements—especially when victims have lawyers on their side.
But truck accidents are different. That’s because the insurance policies associated with commercial trucks are often several times larger than those associated with passenger vehicles. Naturally, insurance companies don’t want to pay the money involved in those policies to victims, and that means they fight even more aggressively to reduce or deny valid claims.
At Skolrood Law Firm, we deal with overzealous and aggressive insurance companies every day, but their truly combative nature comes out when they’re facing claims from truck accident victims. Because insurance companies pull out all the stops to avoid paying settlements to those victims, it’s beneficial to have an experienced Roanoke truck accident lawyer on your side.
If you or someone you love were hurt in a truck accident, you need a legal advocate who understands the trucking industry and both state and federal laws concerning truck drivers, truck companies, and truck owners. Our legal team knows the ins and outs of the industry and the laws pertaining to it, and there’s nothing the insurance company can throw at us that we haven’t seen many times in the past.
Trust our experience and our track record of success. Call us today for a free consultation, and let us go to work for you.
Passenger vehicles are becoming safer due to advanced safety features and improved designs. That makes the average person on Virginia’s roadways safer than ever, but people who get around on two wheels still face significant dangers every time they travel.
Wearing all the gear, all the time can help riders reduce their risks, but it can’t eliminate them. And when accidents occur at high speeds or involve collisions with other vehicles or stationary objects, riders are at extreme risk of suffering disabling and even life-threatening injuries.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke motorcycle accident attorneys understand that riders face unique challenges both in their recoveries and in their abilities to pursue compensation for their accident-related expenses. That’s because insurance companies often view their claims with skepticism and are reluctant to pay them the money that they deserve—even when their accidents were caused by someone else’s negligence.
Common injuries associated with motorcycle accidents include:
- Head and neck injuries—Riders are at risk of suffering traumatic brain injuries during crashes, especially if they don’t wear helmets or wear helmets that don’t provide adequate protection. They also may suffer neck and spinal injuries that can result in paralysis.
- Broken bones—Riding gear can protect the skin during crashes, but riders may still suffer from broken bones. Compound fractures can require immediate medical intervention and require months of healing and rehabilitation.
Getting an experienced legal team on your side after your motorcycle accident can make all the difference when it comes to getting the compensation you deserve. Call us today for a free consultation.
If you were recently injured in an auto accident that wasn’t your fault, it’s important to remember that the insurance company wants to pay you as little as possible. Insurance companies report big profits every year, and they achieve that by finding ways to reduce or deny claims whenever they can.
They can get away with paying “lowball” settlements—or no settlements at all—to victims because they often count on victims making mistakes during the hours, days, or weeks after their accidents. One of the most prominent mistakes that victims make is talking about their accidents to the wrong people or in the wrong places.
At Skolrood Law Firm, we’ve seen many accident claims jeopardized after insurance companies and adjusters took victims’ words out of context and used them against them. You can reduce the chances of that happening by only talking about your accident with the following parties:
- Your immediate family—Everyone needs love and support after an accident, and your immediate family can help you through this difficult time.
- Your doctor—It’s important to be honest with your doctor about the severity and type of your injuries. The more information you provide, the easier it will be for him or her to treat you.
- Your lawyer—A Roanoke auto accident lawyer has your best interests at heart, and he will need to know all of the details about your crash to best serve you.
Be careful when talking about your crash with others, including coworkers, friends, or social media connections and followers. Adjusters can and will use your words against you if they have access to them.
Call today for a free consultation, and let us put our experience to work for you.
If you recently lost a loved one, you have enough on your mind already. You’re grieving your loss and doing your best to adjust alongside your family members. The last thing you should be focused on is dealing with the insurance company and the seemingly endless back and forth associated with compensation claims.
At Skolrood Law Firm, we can take that burden off of your shoulders. We know how difficult this time can be for your entire family, and that’s why we’ll do everything we can to allow you to focus on what’s most important.
When you choose our Roanoke wrongful death lawyers, you’ll get the following assistance:
- We’ll prove your loved one’s death was preventable and caused by negligence. Insurance companies are often reluctant to pay claims to surviving family members after wrongful deaths. But when they’re presented with compelling evidence, they often have no choice but to begin the process of offering a settlement.
- We’ll negotiate how much money your family deserves. Even when insurance companies concede and prepare a settlement, the money is often insufficient for families’ losses. We’ll determine how much money you deserve for things like medical bills, lost wages, and loss of companionship.
- We’ll handle all communication with the insurance company. When we take on your claim, the insurance company will have to go through us to get to you. That means you won’t be bothered by phone calls, emails, or social media messages from adjusters.
Get in touch with us today for a free consultation and to see how our years of experience can be put to work for your family.
Suffering a serious injury can have devastating effects on your life. In addition to causing you to experience pain and reduced quality of life, your injury also may make it difficult or impossible for you to work. And when you’re already facing expensive medical bills, you and your loved ones may experience significant financial hardship.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke personal injury lawyers believe that victims shouldn’t have to pay out of pocket for injuries that weren’t their fault. Whether you were hurt in an auto accident, a motorcycle accident, a truck accident, or during a medical procedure, you can count on us to give you the legal representation, advice, and advocacy you deserve.
It’s important to have an experienced law firm on your side when you pursue compensation for a personal injury claim. That’s because insurance companies are almost always reluctant to pay claims to victims. Big insurers make huge profits year after year, and those profits are due to them finding ways to reduce or deny valid claims from people like you.
With an attorney working on your behalf, the insurance company will know that it can’t easily give you the runaround or give you a “lowball” settlement that isn’t enough to cover even a fraction of your accident-related expenses. In addition, you’ll also get peace of mind knowing that the current and future costs related to your injuries have been calculated and presented to the insurance company. That means you won’t find yourself in need of more money just weeks or months after receiving your settlement check.
Call us today for a free consultation and to get the help you deserve.
Doctors, surgeons, and other healthcare professionals are highly trained and highly educated in their fields. When we get sick or injured, we trust them to make accurate diagnoses, provide care that’s appropriate for our health problems, and take the necessary precautions to prevent complications from occurring.
But like everyone else, medical providers can make mistakes. However, some medical mistakes are due to carelessness and negligence on the part of healthcare professionals. Common examples of negligent mistakes include failing to consult patient charts, leaving medical equipment inside patients’ bodies, operating on the wrong body parts, or prescribing the wrong medication.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke medical malpractice lawyers have seen the devastation that medical malpractice can cause patients and their families. If you or someone you love were recently treated by a healthcare professional and your health has worsened, there’s a chance you suffered from negligent care.
Medical malpractice isn’t always obvious, and sometimes it takes an experienced law firm to review the facts and determine if and when it happened. When you choose us to handle your malpractice claim, we’ll review all of the facts concerning what happened, including your health before and after your treatment and the potential mistakes or oversights that occurred while you were in the care of your doctor or surgeon.
Then, we’ll calculate how much money the malpractice may have cost you, and we’ll fight to get you every penny that you and your loved ones deserve. Contact us today for a free consultation. We’re ready to help.
Big trucks are essential parts of the modern U.S. economy. They’re responsible for transporting consumer goods thousands of miles, coast to coast, every day. But because of our nation’s dependence on those goods, trucks are becoming more and more common on highways and interstates—and that can create an increased risk of accidents.
In response to the threats that big trucks pose to other motorists, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), an extension of the U.S. Department of Transportation, created a list of requirements and regulations for the industry. Those rules apply to all parties involved in the industry, including truck drivers, owners, and companies.
However, those requirements and regulations are sometimes at odds with profits, and that means they’re ignored or violated. When FMCSA rules are broken and accidents occur, victims can file claims for compensation for expenses such as medical bills and lost wages.
A Roanoke truck accident lawyer at Skolrood Law Firm can review your truck accident for the following industry violations:
- Unqualified driver—Truck drivers in the U.S. must hold valid commercial driver licenses as well as certifications for oversized and specialized loads.
- Overloaded trailer—Trucks have weight limits on Virginia and U.S. roadways, but some trucks are overloaded to increase profits.
- Poorly maintained truck—Trucks are designed to drive for hundreds of thousands of miles, but they still need regular maintenance to ensure they’re safe on the road.
If your truck accident involved an FMCSA violation, we’re ready to pursue maximum compensation for you and your loved ones. Call us today for a free consultation.