Brain injuries affect entire families, and their repercussions can be felt for decades. People who suffer traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) may lose some or all of their independence, and they may need frequent or constant assistance from family members or caregivers.
In addition to requiring expensive medical care, rehabilitation, and living assistance, TBI victims also may lose their ability to work. That means their loved ones often face financial struggles, as they may find it difficult to balance the costs of losing an income while needing to hire nurses or reduce their own working hours to act as caregivers.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke brain injury lawyers want to help victims and their families get compensation for everything they’ve gone through, including:
- Medical bills—The medical costs associated with TBIs can feel overwhelming and never-ending. Patients often require lifelong care, and they may need around-the-clock help.
- Lost wages—TBIs often disrupt or eliminate the possibility of working and succeeding in a job or career. That means victims and their families may lose out on decades of income and earnings.
- Pain and suffering—TBIs have complications that are painful for both victims and their families. Changes in personality and cognition can change family dynamics and create challenging circumstances for everyone.
We know TBIs, and we know what it takes to win. Call today for a free consultation.
Residents in nursing homes throughout Virginia face two serious threats to their health and well-being: abuse and neglect.
The former is often more easily detected, as it frequently results in physical evidence. Bruises, cuts, and signs of sexual assault can be seen by family members, and residents are more likely to report such incidents to their loved ones, staff members, and other facility employees.
However, neglect can be more subtle and insidious. Family members may not realize that their loved ones are being denied the care and attention they need. Sometimes, neglect may even go on for years before it becomes obvious.
A few common signs of neglect include:
- Sudden worsening of health – If your loved one has few health problems or ones that are well-controlled with medication, any sudden downturns in health can be indicative of neglect. Staff members may withhold medication and other vital treatments from patients, putting them in serious harm.
- Poor hygiene and sanitation – Nursing home staff members are supposed to keep residents’ living quarters clean, give them frequent baths, and assist with normal hygiene requirements. When those tasks are delayed or performed infrequently, it may be a sign of neglect.
- Isolation and psychological issues – Strong friendships and social bonds with other residents and staff members is essential for the happiness and well-being of nursing home residents. Neglect can occur when residents aren’t allowed to interact with others and are left alone in their rooms for long periods of time.
A Roanoke nursing home abuse lawyer at Skolrood Law Firm is here to help any family whose loved one was abused or neglected in a nursing facility. Call today for a free consultation to find out how we may be able to assist you during this difficult time.
When you’ve been hurt in a crash, all you want is to get better and get back to your normal life. But at Skolrood Law Firm, we know that’s not always possible for many victims—at least, not right away. There’s often a prolonged recovery period, and many victims face expensive medical bills that they can’t afford, as their injuries prevent them from working for weeks, months, and in some cases, even years.
If your crash wasn’t your fault, you can file a claim for compensation for your accident-related expenses. Contacting an experienced Roanoke car accident lawyer is a great place to start to protect your rights and give you the upper hand against the insurance company.
However, it’s important to note that even with an experienced and determined legal team on your side, the insurance company and its team of adjusters may still watch you closely to reduce or even deny your claim. That can happen when victims inadvertently make common mistakes, which include:
- Admitting fault for the crash – Whether it’s to the police, the other driver, witnesses, or on social media, admitting fault for an accident can immediately jeopardize your chances of getting compensation—even if further investigation proves you didn’t cause the accident.
- Accepting an initial settlement offer – A common tactic insurance companies use relies on taking advantage of victims’ shock and worry about their expenses. They frequently offer lowball settlements in the days or weeks after crashes, but when victims accept, the terms of the settlement preclude them from pursuing additional compensation in the future.
Don’t leave your future and your ability to pursue maximum compensation up to chance. Get a legal team you can trust on your side, and let us guide you through the legal process. Call today for a free consultation.
Losing a loved one can be one of the most difficult experiences of your life, especially if his or her death was due to another person’s or party’s negligence. It can be even more difficult if he or she was a primary income earner for your household and you and your other family members aren’t in a position to replace the lost income.
At Skolrood Law Firm, we know that a family member’s death can be difficult for many reasons, and we also know that many families experience significant disruptions in their lifestyles and even their abilities to keep up with day-to-day living expenses as a result.
Filing a wrongful death claim may help you recover compensation for your loved one’s death, but it’s important to first establish that your loved one’s death qualifies for damages. Wrongful death claims can stem from a variety of accidents and scenarios, such as:
- Auto accidents – When drivers violate traffic laws and cause fatal accidents by speeding, driving under the influence, or driving recklessly, they can be held responsible for any accident-related deaths.
- Medical malpractice – Healthcare professionals can be held liable if their mistakes result in patient deaths, especially if their mistakes are due to carelessness or negligence.
- Workplace accidents – Employers are responsible for protecting their employees by providing adequate training, safety equipment, and safe environments. When they fail to do so, employees can be seriously injured or even killed—and employers can be held responsible.
Spring has officially arrived, and roads in Virginia will soon be populated with eager motorcyclists who are ready to finally take advantage of warm weather and the beautiful scenery throughout the Commonwealth.
If you or someone you love enjoys traveling on two wheels for commuting or recreational purposes, there’s no better time to enjoy it than spring. However, because many people put their bikes into storage during the winter, it’s important to ensure that they are safe to ride before hitting the roads again.
At Skolrood Law Firm, it’s our goal to protect motorcyclists both before and after accidents, and we know that to reduce your risks, you should:
- Inspect your safety gear and make sure it’s ready. Safety gear is only effective if it’s undamaged and properly certified. Make sure your helmet fits properly and is certified by DOT, ECE 22.05, or Snell, and that the rest of your gear is intact and free from major damage or tears.
- Service any parts on your bike that need it. Check your headlights and brake lights before riding, as well as your tire tread and brakes. Make any necessary repairs or replacements before you ride, as failing to do so can significantly increase your risk of an accident.
Unfortunately, even the most safety-conscious motorcyclists can still be injured by negligent and inattentive drivers. If you or someone you love was hurt by a careless motorist, get in touch with a Roanoke motorcycle accident lawyer today for a free consultation.
People in the medical field have one duty to uphold above all others: do no harm to patients. And while intentional harm is rare, unintentional harm due to negligence or carelessness is common—and it can result in severe and life-changing injuries and illnesses for the patients who trusted those healthcare workers.
A Roanoke medical malpractice lawyer at Skolrood Law Firm knows how devastating it is for patients and their families when they’re victims of a careless doctor, surgeon, or other provider. We also know how important it is for patients to take the right steps to protect their health and their rights to compensation.
Those steps include:
- Contacting your healthcare provider – Healthcare issues can be complicated and multi-faceted, and it’s not always easy to determine if medical malpractice occurred. Call your physician or the hospital where you were treated to address any concerns you have about the treatment you received.
- Getting a second opinion or treatment from another provider – If the answers or explanations you received from your doctor, surgeon, or other medical professional weren’t satisfying—or if you feel that your health is still at risk—seeing another provider can help you learn more about what happened while stabilizing your health.
- Call a law firm that understands medical malpractice claims – Being the victim of a healthcare-related mistake or error can leave you facing expensive medical bills and weeks, months, or even years away from work. An experienced law firm wants to help you get the compensation you need to move forward with your life.
It’s important to act as soon as possible if you suspect medical malpractice, as evidence can disappear and hospitals and their insurance companies can begin preparing their defenses right away. Call today for a free consultation to find out how we may be able to help you and your loved ones.
Being involved in a car accident can have physical, financial, and legal ramifications. Getting those ramifications under control immediately after your accident can seem overwhelming, but making these three phone calls can help you protect your health and your rights:
- 911 – Virginia law requires that all auto accidents involving property damage or injuries be reported to police. Always call 911 after an accident and wait for police to arrive and create a report of the crash before leaving the scene. If you’re injured, you may be treated at the accident scene by emergency responders or transported to a nearby hospital.
- Your insurance provider – Auto insurers require that their policyholders notify them of accidents shortly after they occur—often within one week or less. Waiting too long can jeopardize your chances of getting compensation. Always call as soon as you’re able, but keep the conversation brief and stick to the facts.
- An auto accident law firm – It’s important to begin protecting your legal rights as soon as possible after a crash, as the insurance company will begin preparing its defense against paying you the money you deserve. The sooner a law firm can take on your claim, the sooner your attorneys will be able to collect evidence to support your claim.
The Roanoke car accident attorneys at Skolrood Law Firm have helped many people who were hurt in crashes that were caused by negligent drivers, and we know what you’re going through. Call us today for a free consultation, and let us put our experience to work for you and your family.
Unexplained bruises and weight loss, poor personal hygiene and room cleanliness, and sudden downturns in health and well-being can all be indicative of abuse or neglect in a nursing home.
If you discover any of those signs or symptoms in your loved one, you may be devastated and unsure of your next steps. It can be difficult to come to terms with the fact that the facility, healthcare providers, and staff members that you trusted with your loved one’s life, health, and well-being let you down, but it’s a common occurrence at nursing homes throughout the country.
At Skolrood Law Firm, we’ve helped many people just like you through this difficult time, and we know how important it is for you to speak with the following three people if you suspect nursing home abuse or neglect:
- Your loved one – It’s important to get your loved one’s side of the story before taking further action. Ask if he or she feels safe in the nursing home, if meals and baths are prompt and consistent, and whether he or she is treated with kindness and respect.
- The nursing home director or manager – Bringing up your questions and concerns with upper management at the nursing facility can not only help you shed more light on what happened to your loved one, but it can also prevent future abuse or neglect from occurring to other residents.
- A Roanoke nursing home abuse lawyer – Speaking to an experienced attorney can help you plan your next steps and what you’ll need to do to protect your loved one’s health and your rights to getting compensation.
Don’t wait another day to get the help that you and your loved one deserve. Call us for a free consultation.
If you’re involved in any type of auto accident where injuries or property damage over $1,000 in value occur, you’re required by Virginia state law to contact the police. You also may face the dilemma of determining who was at fault for the crash, but neither you nor the other driver are willing to budge on your viewpoints of what happened.
In other words, car accidents are complicated. Truck accidents can be even more complicated, as they involve all of the factors above in addition to three parties who may be responsible for trucks: truck drivers, truck owners, and truck companies.
At Skolrood Law Firm, we’ve helped many truck accident victims pursue maximum compensation. Having an experienced attorney on your side after a truck accident can be beneficial for the following reasons:
- Truck accidents often involve multiple parties. Because there are so many parties involved in truck accidents, trying to get compensation alone can be an uphill battle for many victims. Having a law firm on your side can help level the playing field when you’re going up against truck drivers, owners, and companies, as well as their insurance companies.
- Getting full compensation for truck accident injuries can be difficult. Big trucks can weigh up to 80,000 pounds, which increases the likelihood that victims will suffer serious injuries during a truck accident. If you were seriously hurt in a truck accident, you may need expensive medical care, and an attorney is ready to fight for the full amount of compensation you deserve.
Motorcyclists have a lot to contend with when they head out on their bikes. In addition to always being on the lookout for inattentive drivers, they also may have to ride on roads that aren’t always well-maintained. In fact, road defects, hazards, and debris that are often little more than minor annoyances for drivers in cars, trucks, and SUVs can cause serious accidents for motorcyclists.
It’s important to both understand the most common road hazards and know how to avoid them when you’re riding. At Skolrood Law Firm, our Virginia motorcycle accident attorneys have seen many cases where riders were injured because of poor road conditions—especially these three common hazards:
- Potholes – Potholes can range from small divots in roadways to large gashes in asphalt that can heavily damage and even total large passenger vehicles. They can be deadly for motorcyclists, as they can cause riders to be thrown from their bikes.
- Gravel – Gravel can form when roadways begin to break down over time, but it’s also used on some rural roads. While it’s suitable for driving over in passenger vehicles, it can cause motorcycle tires to slip, resulting in accidents.
- Slick asphalt – Modern passenger vehicles have tires that are designed to grip in a variety of conditions, and with four wheels making contact with the ground, it’s harder to lose control. But motorcycle tires are small and have less traction, and with only two wheels, slick conditions can cause riders to lose control.
Watching out for road hazards can reduce your risk of a crash, but it can’t eliminate it completely—especially when other drivers are negligent. If you were hurt by a careless driver, we want to help. Call today for a free consultation.