Nursing home residents are granted many rights by the federal government. The state of Virginia also enforces rules and regulations to help ensure that nursing home residents are well protected and safe from harm while living in care facilities.
Federal rights include the following:
- The right to a dignified existence—This includes the right to be treated with consideration, respect, and dignity while remaining free from abuse, neglect, and exploitation. It also states that quality of life must be maintained or improved and that residents will be free from physical restraints.
- The right to self-determination—Regardless of their age or health conditions, nursing home residents should always have a voice in their own care and healthcare plans. They should also be able to participate in activities and request, refuse, or discontinue treatment.
- The right to be fully informed—Residents should know the status of their own health and the progression of their illnesses, as well as any treatments they might undergo to treat diseases and chronic health conditions. In addition, they should receive important notices and information about changes in a written language they can understand.
These are just a few of the important rights that nursing home residents are supposed to enjoy in Virginia. Unfortunately, these rights are sometimes violated, putting residents in danger.
If you suspect your loved one’s rights were violated after being moved to a nursing home or other care facility, your family may be eligible for compensation. Contact the Roanoke nursing home abuse lawyers at Skolrood Law Firm today to get the legal representation you need.
At Skolrood Law Firm, we know that people who are harmed because of others’ negligence need compensation for their medical bills and lost wages. But we also know that many people are hesitant to pursue compensation when the liable parties are people they know. A common example of when a victim may be reluctant to file an injury claim is when they’re harmed by their own doctor.
Your primary care physician may be someone you’ve trusted with your health and even your life for years, if not decades. And while they’re prone to occasionally making mistakes like all humans are, there’s a big difference between honest mistakes and mistakes caused by negligence. If you believe your doctor’s carelessness put your health at risk or harmed you, it’s important to pursue compensation for what you’ve gone through.
Doctors typically carry medical malpractice insurance for themselves and/or their clinics. When injured patients file claims against their doctors, they’re usually paid through their doctors’ insurance policies—the same way that injured auto accident victims are paid through the at-fault parties’ auto insurance policies.
And while no doctor ever wants to be sued or accused of medical malpractice, negligence happens, and when it does, innocent patients deserve recourse for their pain and suffering, their added medical bills, and their lost wages. Our Roanoke medical malpractice lawyers know that this may be a difficult decision for you, and that’s why we want to discuss your case. Contact us today for a free consultation to find out how we can help.
Truck accidents often result in serious consequences for people in passenger vehicles. That’s because semi-trucks outweigh even the largest passenger vehicles by tens of thousands of pounds, making even low-speed collisions potentially fatal.
If you were recently injured in a road accident involving a tractor-trailer, you may have suffered severe injuries. That means you’re facing expensive medical bills and significant time away from work. You may be eligible to file a compensation claim against the liable party, whether that’s the truck driver, owner, company, or even another driver, but getting compensation may be difficult.
That’s because truck accident claims often result in larger settlements than accidents involving passenger vehicles. In addition, victims may be able to pursue compensation from multiple sources, as multiple parties associated with trucks may be partially liable for crashes. However, because the dollar figures often associated with truck accident claims are significant, insurance companies will often fight victims even more vehemently to protect their profits.
After a crash involving a commercial truck, contact a Roanoke truck accident lawyer to stand up for your rights. At Skolrood Law Firm, we’ll do everything in our power to maximize your chances of getting the money you deserve. We’ll collect evidence that proves you weren’t at fault, calculate your current and future accident-related expenses, and negotiate with the insurance company to get you paid. Contact us today for a free consultation.
The human brain is the most complex organ in existence. But it’s also one of the most vulnerable. Although it’s protected by the skull, the brain can be easily damaged during accidents.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke brain injury lawyers know how devastating traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) are for victims and their families. People who suffer TBIs often experience life-changing disabilities and problems with cognition, behavior, and fine motor skills. They may be unable to work for the rest of their lives, and they may also need medical care from highly trained nurses and specialists.
TBIs can be caused by a variety of accidents, including:
- Auto accidents—Car crash victims may experience TBIs due to impacts with hard surfaces or even due to their brains moving inside their skulls, resulting in bleeding and tissue damage.
- Motorcycle accidents—TBIs are common with motorcycle accidents. That’s because even helmeted motorcyclists are at risk of suffering severe head injuries when they’re thrown from their bikes during crashes.
- Medical malpractice—TBIs can occur as a result of medical mistakes, including errors during surgery, administering the wrong dosages of medications, or oxygen deprivation.
If you or someone you love suffered a TBI, it’s important to have a law firm on your side that knows what you’re going through and knows how to build a claim that will maximize your chances of getting compensation. Contact us today to find out how we can fight for your rights to the money you deserve.
As a motorcyclist, you have to take extra precautions to protect yourself in the event of a crash. That means wearing safety equipment and riding gear like a helmet, riding jacket and pants, gloves, and boots. But as you may already know, even the safest motorcyclists are no match for negligent drivers.
If you were recently hurt in a motorcycle accident, your injuries may be serious, and you may be out of work for the foreseeable future. Getting compensation for your accident-related expenses is likely one of your biggest priorities, but it’s not always easy for victims to get the money they deserve if their injuries occurred while riding their motorcycles.
When you contact the Roanoke motorcycle accident lawyers at Skolrood Law Firm, we’ll maximize your chances of getting full compensation by taking the following steps:
- We’ll prove you weren’t at fault—Insurance companies are often biased against motorcyclists, and the adjuster may think you were at fault. We’ll collect evidence that leaves no doubt about who caused the accident.
- We’ll determine how much money you’re owed—Between medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering, you should be owed a substantial settlement. We’ll find out how much money you and your family need after the accident.
- We’ll communicate and negotiate with the insurance company—When you’re recovering from a motorcycle accident, dealing with the insurance company is the last thing you want to do. We’ll handle all communication and negotiate to get you a fair settlement.
Contact us today for a free consultation. We want to put our experience to work for you.
After an auto accident, your priorities are making sure that you and your loved ones get the medical attention and time you need to recover from your injuries so that you can go back to work. However, auto accident injuries can result in big medical bills that you may have difficulty paying, especially if you’re too hurt to go back to work for the foreseeable future.
If the accident was caused by a negligent driver, you may be eligible to get compensation for your medical bills and lost wages by filing a damages claim against their insurance policy. Unfortunately, getting compensation isn’t always easy, and insurance companies do everything they can to reduce or deny claims—including capitalizing on injured victims’ mistakes.
Three common mistakes that can harm compensation claims include:
- Admitting fault—Never admit fault for the crash to the other driver, the police, or the insurance company. Evidence may prove you didn’t contribute to the accident, but admitting fault can make it difficult to get compensation.
- Exaggerating or downplaying your injuries—Always be completely honest about your injuries. Making them sound worse than they are or even downplaying their severity can jeopardize your claim.
- Waiting too long to file a claim—In addition to a two-year statute of limitations in Virginia, the clock is also ticking on things like witness statements, crash scene evidence, and the insurance company’s perception of your claim and your injuries.
When someone is injured through no fault of their own, they or their loved ones may be eligible to file a compensation claim to recover their accident-related expenses, including medical bills and lost wages. The same is true if an accident or injury results in death. When surviving family members file claims on behalf of a loved one who was killed due to another person’s or party’s negligence, it’s called a wrongful death claim.
At Skolrood Law Firm, we know that the days, weeks, and months after the death of a loved one can be a difficult and emotional time. But we also know that many grieving families face financial difficulties and need money for everyday living expenses, let alone remaining medical bills and funeral expenses. Our Roanoke wrongful death lawyers have helped many families who are grieving the loss of a loved one, and we know what it takes to help them get the compensation they deserve.
If you recently lost a family member due to someone else’s negligence, we want to help you. You’ve got enough to deal with already, and the last thing you should have to worry about it is proving to the insurance company that someone else was at fault for your loved one’s death. Let us handle the back and forth with the adjuster and the negotiation process while you honor your loved one’s memory and focus on moving forward with your life.
Contact us today for a free consultation. We’re ready to put our experience to work for your family.
Truck accidents often cause significant property damage and serious injuries. Because the dollar figures attached to truck accident compensation claims can be higher than many other types of claims, insurance companies often approach them more cautiously—especially when there’s plenty of evidence that their policyholders were at fault.
One common tactic that insurance companies use after truck accidents is offering victims settlements just days after the crashes occur. They know that victims are facing huge medical bills and that they may be unable to work for long periods of time.
Because of their panic and desperation, many victims accept those settlements without thinking of the long-term consequences. However, those settlements may be insufficient to pay for their full accident-related expenses, and victims may be unable to pursue additional compensation after they accept.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke truck accident lawyers want to make sure that never happens to innocent victims in Virginia. When you’re seriously injured through no fault of your own, your settlement should take care of all your medical bills and lost wages—not just the ones you’ve incurred up to the point when you get your check.
When you call our law firm, we’ll review all settlement offers from the insurance company with you to make sure you’re getting a fair deal. If the insurance company won’t give you the money you deserve, we’ll push back until they do, even if it means taking your case to court. Contact us today for a free consultation—we’re here to help.
When people are injured in accidents that weren’t their fault, they and their loved ones have the right to pursue compensation for accident-related expenses, including medical bills and lost wages. The same is true when accidents result in victims’ deaths. Instead of being called personal injury claims, those actions are considered wrongful death claims.
Wrongful death claims can arise after many types of accidents and injuries, such as:
- Auto accidents—If a driver’s negligence causes someone to suffer fatal injuries, the victim’s surviving family members may be eligible to file compensation claims against the other driver’s insurance.
- Work-related accidents—Employers are supposed to provide workers with safe environments, required safety equipment, and sufficient training to do their jobs. When they fail to do so, they can be held liable.
- Medical malpractice—When doctors, surgeons, and other healthcare providers make mistakes due to carelessness or negligence that result in patients’ deaths, family members can file compensation claims against individual healthcare providers, clinics, and hospitals.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke wrongful death lawyers have helped surviving family members get the compensation they deserve after the deaths of loved ones for decades. We know that you’re going through a difficult time, and it’s our goal to help make it easier for you.
Trust our experience and our dedication to get you maximum results. Contact us today for a free consultation to find out how we can help.
When you moved your loved one into their nursing home facility, you expected them to get high-quality medical care and personalized attention from staff members and medical providers. Unfortunately, that’s not always day-to-day reality for nursing home residents.
Many nursing facilities prioritize profits over resident health and satisfaction, and that means they often cut corners when it comes to hiring experienced and qualified employees. It’s not uncommon for nursing homes to be understaffed or utilize untrained employees. When that happens, residents’ well-being and even their lives may be at risk.
At Skolrood Law Firm, we fight for the rights of people who were neglected or abused in nursing home facilities. If you suspect that your loved one is being mistreated in their nursing home, we want to help you, too.
When you choose a Roanoke nursing home abuse attorney, we’ll investigate your claim by collecting evidence that proves your loved one was abused or neglected. Then, we’ll determine how much money your family is owed for this breach of trust. Finally, we’ll negotiate with the insurance company and the nursing home to get you maximum compensation for what your loved one has been through.
Nursing home abuse and neglect are extremely harmful for residents, and when nursing homes allow them to occur or fail to hold employees to a higher standard, they should be held responsible. Contact us today for a free consultation to find out how we may be able to help.