Suffering an injury because of another person’s negligence isn’t just painful and stressful—it can also be extremely expensive. Medical bills are huge financial drains for families, and the more severe your injury is, the more you may have to pay to get it treated.
In addition, your injury may leave you unable to work for weeks or even months. Without the paychecks your family depends on, your savings, credit cards, and other finances may take a serious hit.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke personal injury attorneys fight for the rights of people who were hurt through no fault of their own. Innocent victims like you shouldn’t have to front the cost of your own treatments when someone else caused your injury, and you shouldn’t have to suffer financially because you’re too hurt to go to work.
Our legal team knows personal injury claims, and we know what it takes to win. From gathering evidence and proving the other party was at fault, to calculating your accident-related expenses and negotiating with the insurance company, we’re ready to handle all aspects of your case.
You have enough on your plate already—you should be focused on getting better, getting back to work, and spending time with your family. You shouldn’t have to spend your days collecting and filling out paperwork and playing phone tag with the insurance company. Leave those details up to us while you rest and recover.
Call today for a free consultation.
After an auto accident, most people have two priorities: protecting themselves and their loved ones and getting back to work. But some victims put off going to the doctor or hospital, and they may even turn down treatment from first responders at the accident scene. When they do that, they put their health and their chances of getting compensation in jeopardy.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke car accident attorneys have helped many victims like you who were hurt in auto crashes, and we know that getting medical treatment right away is essential for two reasons:
- It uncovers or rules out internal injuries. Car accidents put tremendous amounts of force on vehicle occupants. Internal organs can move or even be damaged inside the body. Some of those injuries aren’t immediately noticeable. Getting immediate treatment can help diagnose or rule out those injuries early.
- It creates a medical record of crash-related injuries. If you decide to pursue compensation for your accident-related injuries, the insurance company will want proof that they were caused by the car accident. Medical records from the day of the crash or shortly after can serve as valuable evidence for your compensation claim.
After you’ve been treated for your injuries, it’s important to get in touch with a lawyer right away. Evidence can disappear in a matter of days, and the insurance company will begin building its case against you as soon as it finds out about the wreck. Call us today for a free consultation.
The American population is aging, and that means nursing homes are bigger business than ever before. For many families, nursing homes are invaluable, as they provide safe places where their loved ones can receive medical care and personalized attention on a daily basis. But for others, nursing homes represent major mistakes that lead to physical and emotional pain and trauma.
A Roanoke nursing home abuse attorney at Skolrood Law Firm knows that residents of long-term care facilities aren’t always treated with the respect and dignity they deserve. When nursing homes focus on profits more than resident care, they often end up understaffed or with employees who are undertrained, underqualified, and inexperienced. That combination can be harmful or even deadly for residents.
If your loved one was harmed either directly or indirectly while living in a nursing home, your family deserves compensation. We’re ready to gather evidence that proves abuse or neglect took place, and we want to fight to help you get damages for things like medical bills, nursing home bills or relocation expenses, pain and suffering, and more.
You and your loved one shouldn’t have to suffer in silence after your rights were violated by a nursing home staff member or care team, and you shouldn’t have to pay for the aftermath out of pocket. Our experienced legal team knows what it takes to win nursing home abuse and neglect claims, and we know how to negotiate to get families like yours maximum compensation. Call us today for a free consultation.
Because motorcycles have no built-in protection for riders, accidents that occur on two wheels can be extremely dangerous. The severe injuries associated with motorcycle accidents, including head injuries, spinal injuries, and skin injuries, often require expensive medical treatments and prolonged periods away from work.
Many motorcycle accident victims who were hurt by negligent drivers want to pursue compensation claims, but they may not know how much money they’re eligible to receive. No two motorcycle accident claims are alike, and the dollar figures associated with them can vary.
However, there are a few factors that our Roanoke motorcycle accident lawyers discuss with our clients to help them understand what they can receive compensation for:
- Current and future lost wages—In addition to the money victims can receive for the work they’ve missed up until the day they receive their settlement checks, they also may be eligible to receive money for future wages if their disabilities will prevent them from returning to work.
- Current and future medical bills—Motorcycle accident victims often need immediate medical attention to stabilize their conditions. That treatment is often expensive, but it’s usually not the end of their healthcare needs. Victims are also entitled to seek compensation for the costs of future medical treatments.
It’s important to have an experienced legal team on your side after your motorcycle accident that knows what you’re going through and knows how to calculate how much you’re owed.
At Skolrood Law Firm, we’ll collect evidence, calculate damages, and then negotiate with the insurance company to get you the money you deserve. Call today for a free consultation.
If you or someone you love was recently hurt in a truck accident, you may be ready to file a claim for compensation to recoup your medical bills and lost wages. But unlike auto accidents where single drivers are often responsible for the crashes, truck accidents can have many liable parties. That’s because the usage of big trucks in commercial activities involves many people and companies.
The parties that can be held liable after truck accidents include:
- Truck drivers—Driving at or below the speed limit, not driving while distracted or impaired, following all traffic laws, and complying with rest and time-off requirements are all mandatory for truck drivers. When they violate those requirements, they can cause crashes.
- Truck companies—The businesses that use trucks to transport goods are responsible for making sure they’re loaded properly, safely, and in accordance with federal regulations. But some truck companies violate regulations to increase profits, increasing the risk of accidents.
- Truck owners—The people who drive or use trucks don’t always own them. But truck owners are still responsible for making sure their vehicles are safe to drive and well maintained. When they don’t uphold that responsibility, their trucks can become unreliable and unsafe.
At Skolrood Law Firm, we have assisted many people who were hurt in truck crashes. We know how to gather evidence to find out who was at fault in your truck accident, and we’re ready to fight to get you maximum compensation. Call a Roanoke truck accident lawyer today for a free consultation.
Getting your life and the lives of your loved ones back to normal as much as possible is one of your top priorities after the death of a family member. But it can be difficult to accomplish that when you’re dealing with the loss of income that you counted on for your day-to-day living expenses.
When someone is hurt or even killed because of another person’s or party’s negligence, their loved ones can file compensation claims on their behalf. Getting full compensation is often a challenge, as insurance companies are reluctant to pay settlements to victims and their families. Wrongful death claims present additional challenges, as many surviving family members don’t want to deal with the back-and-forth with the insurance company or the large amounts of paperwork, phone calls, and other hassles associated with those claims.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke wrongful death lawyers are dedicated to lifting that burden off the shoulders of people like you. You have enough to deal with already—you shouldn’t have to spend your days collecting and submitting paperwork or negotiating with the insurance company. Let us handle that aspect of your compensation claim for you.
When you choose our law firm to handle your wrongful death lawsuit, you’ll get a legal team that knows how to collect evidence that proves your loved one’s death was caused by negligence. We’ll also calculate how much money your family is owed for your loss, and we’ll fight to make sure you get the compensation you deserve. Call us today for a free consultation.
Doctors and surgeons swear oaths when they begin practicing medicine to do no harm to their patients. That means they’re held to a high standard when they have patients’ lives in their hands. And while most healthcare professionals take their jobs, their oaths, and their duties seriously, some don’t give their patients the care and attention they deserve—and that can lead to serious injuries and illnesses.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke medical malpractice lawyers hold negligent medical professionals liable when their careless mistakes cause their patients to suffer health problems or complications. If you or someone you love were hurt by a doctor or surgeon, you may be reluctant to pursue compensation against him or her—especially if you have a relationship with that medical professional, team, or hospital.
But it’s important to remember that medical malpractice can cause lifelong disability and put your family in a serious financial bind. That’s because your injuries or illnesses may prevent you from working for long periods of time, and you may require extensive medical treatments to treat your malpractice-related health problems. If you don’t pursue compensation, you may be left paying for those costs out of your own pocket.
Don’t leave the money you deserve on the table, and don’t go it alone. Doctors and hospitals are well protected by big insurance companies, and they often deny claims from victims who don’t have experienced legal representation. Get our team on your side and get it done. Call us today for a free consultation.
The brain is the most important organ in the body. It’s the seat of consciousness and controls both a person’s intellect and his or her personality. When it gets damaged due to an accident, violence, or a disease, it can forever change a victim’s life.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke brain injury lawyers know how devastating traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) are for both victims and their families. Moderate to severe TBIs can cause immediate, profound, and often permanent disabilities in victims, making it difficult or even impossible for them to live independently.
But new research proves that even relatively minor TBIs can have long-lasting impacts on victims. Simply put: any incident that damages the brain can be potentially devastating both in the short term and long term for victims.
TBI victims can file claims against persons or parties who cause them to suffer cognitive disabilities for a variety of damages, such as:
- Medical bills—People with TBIs often need immediate and critical medical attention, as TBIs can be fatal if they aren’t treated. Victims may require brain surgery, prolonged hospital visits, and rehabilitation to regain some of their independence and motor skills.
- Lost wages—TBI victims are frequently left permanently disabled, and that means they can no longer receive the paychecks their families depend on. Even victims who have disability insurance may receive only a fraction of the money they used to earn.
- Pain and suffering—TBIs can make it impossible to enjoy certain parts of life that previously brought victims joy. In addition, victims also frequently suffer from physical symptoms such as headaches, nausea, and sensitivity to light and noise.
We’re here to help you or your loved one get the money you deserve after your TBI. Call today for a free consultation.
After a crash that wasn’t your fault, you may be in shock due to your injuries and the implications that the accident will have on your life. You may be facing a long road to recovery, and it could be weeks, months, or even years until you’re able to go back to work.
If the crash was caused by another person’s or party’s negligence, there’s a good chance the insurance company will contact you. Unfortunately, insurance companies rarely have victims’ best interests in mind. Instead, they look out for their own profits—usually at the expense of the people who need compensation for accident-related injuries.
If you or someone you love were recently hurt in a crash, here are two tactics the insurance company may use that you should be aware of:
- Getting you to admit fault for the crash—Insurance adjusters may pretend to be friendly and understanding on the phone or via email, but their job is to reduce or deny claims. One way they do that is by getting victims to admit fault for crashes. Once victims go on record saying they may be fully or partially responsible, they may be ineligible to pursue compensation.
- Getting you to accept an initial settlement offer—Adjusters also know that many victims are often desperate for money after their accidents. Medical bills can quickly pile up, and when you’re not working, you may be unable to pay for them. But accepting an “initial” settlement means you may forfeit your right to pursue additional compensation later.
Nursing homes are responsible for providing safe and caring living spaces for some of the most vulnerable members of society, including the elderly and people with serious illnesses and physical disabilities.
But most nursing homes are also private businesses, and that means they’re built and run for one major purpose: generating profits. The pursuit of profits means that some nursing homes are dangerous for residents due to cost-cutting measures, such as understaffing, hiring underqualified staff members, and providing inadequate training for employees.
A Roanoke nursing home abuse lawyer at Skolrood Law Firm is dedicated to holding negligent nursing homes and their ownership/management teams accountable for harm suffered by residents due to abuse and neglect. Moving a loved one into a nursing home can be difficult for everyone in your family, but worrying about him or her being abused or neglected should never be a concern.
Nursing home residents in Virginia are granted many rights, including the right to dignity, the right to self-determination, the right to be fully informed of medical care and health status, the right to raise grievances, and many more. When residents are abused or neglected, many of those rights are violated.
Our law firm has zero tolerance for nursing homes that violate the rights of residents and the trust of their family members who pay big sums of money to provide them with what’s supposed to be a safe place to live. Get in touch with us today for a free consultation. It’s our goal to fight to get you and your loved one the compensation you deserve.