Heavy rains pounded the region surrounding Roanoke, Virginia, over the weekend, resulting in heavy flooding. High water along roadways can cause serious safety hazards and our Roanoke car accident lawyers would like to remind you of a few tips to remember when considering driving in a flooded area.
- Don’t Drive– If you can avoid getting on the road during severe weather, don’t drive. Seek shelter and stay put until floodwaters have subsided.
- Know Your Route– Be aware of what the road conditions along your route are like. WDBJ 7 News is providing a live feed of traffic conditions and the latest information regarding the weather.
- Turn Around– If you must drive, remember to never attempt to pass through standing water. You could lose control of the vehicle or there could be sunken debris in the water that you can’t see. Also, if the water is too deep, you or your vehicle could be swept away in the floodwater.
- Use Your Lights– Turning on your headlights helps make your vehicle more visible to others on the road.
- Be Prepared– Before embarking on your journey, be sure to have food, water, and a flashlight readily available in your vehicle.
One of the most important things to remember though is that being cautious cannot prevent all accidents from occurring. So, it’s important to be aware of what to do after a car accident occurs as well.
We hope these tips help to keep you and your loved ones safe as we wait for the water to retreat.