April 4th, 2019
Despite commercials and marketing campaigns reassuring drivers that insurance companies will have their backs after accidents, many car crash victims face hurdles when they pursue compensation. Because insurance companies are in business to make big profits, they reduce or sometimes deny the settlements that innocent victims deserve for accident-related expenses, including medical bills and lost wages.
Insurance companies employ teams of adjusters whose job is to find ways to pay victims as little as possible after their accidents. In many cases, adjusters spend hours talking to victims on the phone or online to gain their trust, but they often use their own statements against them to reduce or deny their claims. At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke auto accident attorneys believe that victims should be on a level playing field after crashes, and that’s where we come in.
If you or someone you love was recently injured in a crash that wasn’t your fault, you need an experienced legal team on your side that can protect you form the insurance company’s tricks and tactics. It can be difficult to navigate the claims process if you’ve never been involved in a serious accident before, especially when you’re trying to recover from your injuries and get back to work.
We stay one step ahead of insurance companies, and we know how to build claims that get results. Contact us today for a free consultation.
February 28th, 2019
The aftermath of a car crash is a painful, stressful, and traumatic time for you and your loved ones. You may be dealing with severe injuries and unsure of your next steps. Getting help and notifying the right parties of the crash can help you protect your health and your rights to maximum compensation—and it all starts with making the right phone calls.
Three of the most important calls you can make after a crash include:
- 911—Never assume that someone has already called 911 after an accident. The sooner you call, the faster emergency responders will arrive. Police officers can create an accident report and help navigate traffic away from the crash scene, while paramedics can administer aid to you and other victims.
- Your auto insurance provider—Most insurance companies require notification of auto accidents within a day or two after they occur. Calling right away can help you remain eligible for compensation, especially if your plan includes personal injury protection or uninsured/underinsured motorist protection.
- A Roanoke auto accident lawyer—Auto accident injuries lead to expensive medical bills and a prolonged time away from work—and that means no paychecks. Getting a lawyer on your side can help you recover compensation for your accident-related expenses, but if you wait too long, it may be more difficult for your claim to succeed.
When you choose Skolrood Law Firm, you’ll get peace of mind knowing that your claim is in good hands. It’s our goal to take some of the burden of the crash off your shoulders so you can focus on getting better. Call us today for a free consultation.
January 24th, 2019
If you were recently injured in an auto accident, your priorities right now are protecting your family’s health and getting back to work as quickly as possible. But the injuries that you and your loved ones are facing may be long-term, and that means expensive medical bills and weeks or even months without the paychecks you depend on.
Filing a claim for compensation after an auto accident on your own can be an uphill battle. Insurance companies are reluctant to pay victims settlements, and that means they frequently deny otherwise valid claims. And when they do agree to pay victims damages for their accident-related expenses, the money they offer is often insufficient to fully cover injury-related expenses like medical bills and lost wages.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke auto accident lawyers know that insurance companies don’t always play fair or give car crash victims a fair shake. That’s why it’s our goal to help families like yours get maximum compensation after crashes that weren’t their fault. When you choose us to handle your auto accident claim, you’ll get the following services from our legal team:
- We’ll investigate who was at fault for the crash—The insurance company won’t touch your claim unless it knows you didn’t cause the crash. We know what evidence to look for and where to find it to leave no doubt about who caused the crash.
- We’ll negotiate to get you maximum compensation—Even after being presented with proof of liability, the insurance company may still refuse to pay a settlement or offer only a “lowball” settlement. We’ll calculate how much money you deserve, and we’ll fight to help you get it.
We’re ready to get started on your claim. Call today for a free consultation.
November 29th, 2018
After an auto accident, most people have two priorities: protecting themselves and their loved ones and getting back to work. But some victims put off going to the doctor or hospital, and they may even turn down treatment from first responders at the accident scene. When they do that, they put their health and their chances of getting compensation in jeopardy.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke car accident attorneys have helped many victims like you who were hurt in auto crashes, and we know that getting medical treatment right away is essential for two reasons:
- It uncovers or rules out internal injuries. Car accidents put tremendous amounts of force on vehicle occupants. Internal organs can move or even be damaged inside the body. Some of those injuries aren’t immediately noticeable. Getting immediate treatment can help diagnose or rule out those injuries early.
- It creates a medical record of crash-related injuries. If you decide to pursue compensation for your accident-related injuries, the insurance company will want proof that they were caused by the car accident. Medical records from the day of the crash or shortly after can serve as valuable evidence for your compensation claim.
After you’ve been treated for your injuries, it’s important to get in touch with a lawyer right away. Evidence can disappear in a matter of days, and the insurance company will begin building its case against you as soon as it finds out about the wreck. Call us today for a free consultation.
October 4th, 2018
After a crash that wasn’t your fault, you may be in shock due to your injuries and the implications that the accident will have on your life. You may be facing a long road to recovery, and it could be weeks, months, or even years until you’re able to go back to work.
If the crash was caused by another person’s or party’s negligence, there’s a good chance the insurance company will contact you. Unfortunately, insurance companies rarely have victims’ best interests in mind. Instead, they look out for their own profits—usually at the expense of the people who need compensation for accident-related injuries.
If you or someone you love were recently hurt in a crash, here are two tactics the insurance company may use that you should be aware of:
- Getting you to admit fault for the crash—Insurance adjusters may pretend to be friendly and understanding on the phone or via email, but their job is to reduce or deny claims. One way they do that is by getting victims to admit fault for crashes. Once victims go on record saying they may be fully or partially responsible, they may be ineligible to pursue compensation.
- Getting you to accept an initial settlement offer—Adjusters also know that many victims are often desperate for money after their accidents. Medical bills can quickly pile up, and when you’re not working, you may be unable to pay for them. But accepting an “initial” settlement means you may forfeit your right to pursue additional compensation later.
The Roanoke car accident lawyers at Skolrood Law Firm are here to help you protect your rights. Call today for a free consultation.
September 6th, 2018
If you were recently injured in an auto accident that wasn’t your fault, it’s important to remember that the insurance company wants to pay you as little as possible. Insurance companies report big profits every year, and they achieve that by finding ways to reduce or deny claims whenever they can.
They can get away with paying “lowball” settlements—or no settlements at all—to victims because they often count on victims making mistakes during the hours, days, or weeks after their accidents. One of the most prominent mistakes that victims make is talking about their accidents to the wrong people or in the wrong places.
At Skolrood Law Firm, we’ve seen many accident claims jeopardized after insurance companies and adjusters took victims’ words out of context and used them against them. You can reduce the chances of that happening by only talking about your accident with the following parties:
- Your immediate family—Everyone needs love and support after an accident, and your immediate family can help you through this difficult time.
- Your doctor—It’s important to be honest with your doctor about the severity and type of your injuries. The more information you provide, the easier it will be for him or her to treat you.
- Your lawyer—A Roanoke auto accident lawyer has your best interests at heart, and he will need to know all of the details about your crash to best serve you.
Be careful when talking about your crash with others, including coworkers, friends, or social media connections and followers. Adjusters can and will use your words against you if they have access to them.
Call today for a free consultation, and let us put our experience to work for you.
July 19th, 2018
Whether you’re pursuing a claim on your own or with the help of an attorney, one of the first things you’ll realize is that the burden of proof falls on you. That means you must prove to the insurance company that you weren’t at fault for the crash, that your injuries are real, and that your injuries are linked to the accident.
Unfortunately, insurance companies are often skeptical of car accident claims right away. That’s because they’re eager to both protect their profits and avoid paying out money to people who are trying to commit insurance fraud.
Thankfully, there are other parties you may be able to lean on during this time who can help you establish the facts of your case and increase your chances of getting full compensation. Those parties include:
- The responding police officer—When you call 911 after an auto accident in Virginia, a police officer will be dispatched to the scene. He or she will survey the accident and create a report of what happened. That information can serve as evidence to support your claim.
- The witnesses who saw the crash happen—Statements from neutral third parties can help prove who was at fault for your crash and establish your innocence.
- The healthcare professionals who treated you after the crash—Getting immediate medical attention is important not only for protecting your health, but also for protecting your rights. The doctors and nurses who treat you will create a record of your injuries, and that can be used to directly link your injuries to the crash.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke car accident attorneys utilize all relevant parties and information as we fight to get victims the compensation they deserve after a crash. Call us today for a free consultation.
June 7th, 2018
If you were recently involved in a car crash, you have a lot of things on your mind, including when you and your loved ones will get better, how you’ll pay for your medical bills, and how soon you can go back to work.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke car accident lawyers know how difficult the days, weeks, and months after crashes are for victims and their families. That’s why we do everything we can to make this time as easy as possible for our clients.
You have enough on your mind after a crash that wasn’t your fault. Get in touch with us today and let us take some of the stress of the accident off your shoulders by assisting in the following ways:
- We’ll handle communication with the insurance company—Every time car accident victims speak with insurance adjusters, they risk losing their chances of pursuing compensation. That’s because adjusters are trained to use victims’ words against them to reduce or deny payments.
- We’ll gather and present paperwork on your behalf—When you’re recovering after a car accident, the last thing you want to do is hunt down police records and medical reports. Leave that up to our legal team while you focus on getting better.
- We’ll negotiate to get you maximum compensation—Insurance companies frequently offer victims “lowball” settlements that aren’t enough to pay for their accident-related expenses. You can count on us to calculate how much the accident cost you and to fight to get you that full amount.
We’re ready to help you move forward with your life after your car accident. Call today for a free consultation.
May 3rd, 2018
Being able to recall events, people, and places is one of the most unique and powerful gifts of the human mind. But our memories aren’t always perfect—especially when we try to recall traumatic or painful events we were involved in.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke car accident lawyers know that victims’ memories are powerful tools when we build claims to help them get compensation. However, we also know that they can be faulty and unreliable when details are recalled weeks, months, or even years after crashes occur.
That’s why we always recommend that victims write down the following information as soon as they’re able after accidents:
- The events leading up to the crash — It can be difficult to remember precisely what happened in the minutes or seconds before an accident, but that information can be vital for your case. Details such as the lane you were traveling in, whether you had a green light or the right of way at a stop sign, and general traffic conditions can help paint a more accurate picture of what happened.
- Contact information for the other driver and witnesses — Finding others who were involved in the crash or who saw it happen can be difficult after you’ve left the scene. If you’re able to do so, get contact information from anyone nearby before you leave the scene of the accident. You should also write down license plate numbers of vehicles that were involved.
The more information you can provide in the immediate aftermath of your crash, the better. When your memories match up well with witness statements and other pieces of evidence, it becomes more difficult for the insurance company to deny you the money you deserve. Call today for a free consultation, and let us get to work for you.
April 5th, 2018
When you’ve been hurt in a crash, all you want is to get better and get back to your normal life. But at Skolrood Law Firm, we know that’s not always possible for many victims—at least, not right away. There’s often a prolonged recovery period, and many victims face expensive medical bills that they can’t afford, as their injuries prevent them from working for weeks, months, and in some cases, even years.
If your crash wasn’t your fault, you can file a claim for compensation for your accident-related expenses. Contacting an experienced Roanoke car accident lawyer is a great place to start to protect your rights and give you the upper hand against the insurance company.
However, it’s important to note that even with an experienced and determined legal team on your side, the insurance company and its team of adjusters may still watch you closely to reduce or even deny your claim. That can happen when victims inadvertently make common mistakes, which include:
- Admitting fault for the crash – Whether it’s to the police, the other driver, witnesses, or on social media, admitting fault for an accident can immediately jeopardize your chances of getting compensation—even if further investigation proves you didn’t cause the accident.
- Accepting an initial settlement offer – A common tactic insurance companies use relies on taking advantage of victims’ shock and worry about their expenses. They frequently offer lowball settlements in the days or weeks after crashes, but when victims accept, the terms of the settlement preclude them from pursuing additional compensation in the future.
Don’t leave your future and your ability to pursue maximum compensation up to chance. Get a legal team you can trust on your side, and let us guide you through the legal process. Call today for a free consultation.