March 28th, 2019
If you experienced health problems or complications after being treated by a medical professional, there’s a chance that you’re a victim of medical malpractice. However, getting compensation for your malpractice-related expenses, including additional medical bills and lost wages, requires proving that your doctor, surgeon, or other provider was negligent while treating you.
Filing a claim requires plenty of evidence that healthcare administrators and insurance adjusters can’t deny. Unfortunately, that evidence isn’t always easy to find. Many medical mistakes can be attributed to causes other than negligence or carelessness, making it difficult for victims to get their compensation claims off the ground, let alone get favorable outcomes.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke medical malpractice attorneys can investigate your injury, illness, or complications and determine if medical malpractice occurred. If we find that malpractice occurred, we can aggressively pursue evidence that supports the fact that you were harmed by people who were supposed to protect you. That includes collecting medical records, interviewing witnesses and involved parties, and even enlisting the help of medical professionals to determine what happened and why you suffered harm.
Don’t let the healthcare industry deny you the money you deserve after everything you’ve been through. You put your trust in medical professionals, and they violated it by not giving you the attention and care you’re entitled to. Contact us today for a free consultation to find out how we may be able to help.
January 31st, 2019
Getting injured or developing health complications due to a medical professional’s negligence is a devastating experience. You trust your doctors, surgeons, and other providers to do everything in their power to help you recover from your injury or illness, but all it takes is one mistake to put your health and even your life at risk.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke medical malpractice attorneys fight for the rights of people who were injured by healthcare providers. We know that victims often face uphill battles when it comes to getting compensation for their medical bills and lost wages. That’s because hospitals and healthcare facilities are reluctant to admit fault for any health problems that victims suffer.
When people who were harmed by medical professionals file claims, they often experience significant resistance. Their providers may deny responsibility, or their health problems may be attributed to other conditions or previous injuries. And even if the hospital or healthcare facility assumes liability, victims may receive small settlement offers that aren’t enough to cover their injury or illness-related expenses.
When you hire our legal team after medical malpractice, it’s our goal to help you in the following ways:
- We’ll collect evidence that indicates your healthcare provider was negligent.
- We’ll collect evidence that shows your health problems are due to your provider’s negligence.
- We’ll calculate how much money you’re owed and fight to help you get it.
You deserve full compensation for what you’ve experienced, and it’s our goal to help you get every penny. Call today for a free consultation.
December 13th, 2018
Doctors, surgeons, and other specialized healthcare providers swear to do no harm to their patients and to abide by an ethical code upon entering their professions. And while people in the medical field rarely set out to intentionally harm their patients, simply being negligent or careless is enough to cause patients to suffer serious and even life-threatening complications.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke medical malpractice lawyers are here to help anyone who suffered harm because a medical professional failed to uphold his or her duty. While medical malpractice can encompass many types of negligence, three of the most common types include:
- Diagnosis errors—Whether physicians diagnose the wrong illness, or they wait too long to diagnose a disease, not properly treating patients’ conditions as soon as possible can cause their health to rapidly deteriorate.
- Prescription errors—Prescription drugs can treat or even cure some illnesses and diseases, but they must be used properly and within a certain timeframe to be most effective. When doctors fail to prescribe the correct medications at the correct dosages, they can put patients’ lives at risk.
- Surgical errors—Surgery is inherently risky, and not all surgeries go according to plan, even when all precautions are followed. However, surgeons can greatly increase patients’ risks by operating on the wrong body part, leaving surgical tools inside their bodies, or failing to administer proper after-surgery care.
It’s important to get in touch with an experienced law firm if you or someone you love was hurt by a medical professional. We’re here to help you pursue the compensation you deserve—call us today for a free consultation.
October 18th, 2018
Doctors and surgeons swear oaths when they begin practicing medicine to do no harm to their patients. That means they’re held to a high standard when they have patients’ lives in their hands. And while most healthcare professionals take their jobs, their oaths, and their duties seriously, some don’t give their patients the care and attention they deserve—and that can lead to serious injuries and illnesses.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke medical malpractice lawyers hold negligent medical professionals liable when their careless mistakes cause their patients to suffer health problems or complications. If you or someone you love were hurt by a doctor or surgeon, you may be reluctant to pursue compensation against him or her—especially if you have a relationship with that medical professional, team, or hospital.
But it’s important to remember that medical malpractice can cause lifelong disability and put your family in a serious financial bind. That’s because your injuries or illnesses may prevent you from working for long periods of time, and you may require extensive medical treatments to treat your malpractice-related health problems. If you don’t pursue compensation, you may be left paying for those costs out of your own pocket.
Don’t leave the money you deserve on the table, and don’t go it alone. Doctors and hospitals are well protected by big insurance companies, and they often deny claims from victims who don’t have experienced legal representation. Get our team on your side and get it done. Call us today for a free consultation.
August 16th, 2018
Doctors, surgeons, and other healthcare professionals are highly trained and highly educated in their fields. When we get sick or injured, we trust them to make accurate diagnoses, provide care that’s appropriate for our health problems, and take the necessary precautions to prevent complications from occurring.
But like everyone else, medical providers can make mistakes. However, some medical mistakes are due to carelessness and negligence on the part of healthcare professionals. Common examples of negligent mistakes include failing to consult patient charts, leaving medical equipment inside patients’ bodies, operating on the wrong body parts, or prescribing the wrong medication.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke medical malpractice lawyers have seen the devastation that medical malpractice can cause patients and their families. If you or someone you love were recently treated by a healthcare professional and your health has worsened, there’s a chance you suffered from negligent care.
Medical malpractice isn’t always obvious, and sometimes it takes an experienced law firm to review the facts and determine if and when it happened. When you choose us to handle your malpractice claim, we’ll review all of the facts concerning what happened, including your health before and after your treatment and the potential mistakes or oversights that occurred while you were in the care of your doctor or surgeon.
Then, we’ll calculate how much money the malpractice may have cost you, and we’ll fight to get you every penny that you and your loved ones deserve. Contact us today for a free consultation. We’re ready to help.
July 5th, 2018
The medical field changes and saves lives every day throughout Virginia and the world. Doctors, surgeons, and other healthcare professionals do their best to help patients get the treatment they need to recover from illnesses and injuries.
But sometimes, healthcare providers are negligent in the way they care for their patients—and that can put innocent patients at risk of suffering serious complications. Medical malpractice is rare, but when it happens, it can be devastating.
To make matters worse, hospitals and insurance companies are well aware of the potential for medical malpractice, and they immediately go on the offensive when potential cases occur. That means victims are often beaten to the punch by big multi-billion-dollar corporations, leaving them facing an uphill battle to get compensation.
At Skolrood Law Firm, we know that pursuing compensation for injuries and illnesses suffered due to medical mistakes can be intimidating, especially when you’re on your own. That’s why a Roanoke medical malpractice attorney is here to help.
We know the tricks that hospitals and insurance companies use to get victims to give up or accept lowball settlements. It’s our goal to help you get the full compensation you deserve, and we accomplish that by collecting evidence and conclusively proving that your health condition was worsened due to negligent healthcare.
The hospital and insurance company want to protect their profits—not pay out big settlements to victims like you. Don’t give them the upper hand. Call us today for a free consultation to find out how we may be able to help.
May 10th, 2018
It’s normal for people who suffered injuries or developed illnesses to feel anxious and even apprehensive before visiting their doctors or going to hospitals to receive treatment. Those feelings are even more common before surgeries, including both out-patient and invasive procedures.
Despite the anxiety that patients feel, most trust the medical professionals in charge of their care to be attentive and cautious in everything they do. The unfortunate reality is that medical professionals are prone to making mistakes—and sometimes, those mistakes occur due to negligence.
A Roanoke medical malpractice lawyer at Skolrood Law Firm has helped many victims of healthcare provider mistakes get compensation for what they’ve been through.
Because of the complexities of medical malpractice claims, many myths are associated with them, including:
- Medical malpractice claims are mostly limited to surgical mistakes—While many medical malpractice claims are due to oversights such as operating on the wrong body part or leaving tools inside patients’ bodies, there are many other types of claims, including misdiagnosis, incorrect dosages of medications, and even unnecessary treatments.
- Acts of medical malpractice are unpreventable—While human error is a factor, most cases of medical malpractice are the result of carelessness or negligence and could have been prevented. It’s our goal to hold the responsible parties accountable for their negligence and help you get the compensation you deserve.
If you or someone you love were harmed while in the care of medical professionals, you deserve answers and a chance to get compensation for your malpractice-related expenses. Contact us today for a free consultation.
March 15th, 2018
People in the medical field have one duty to uphold above all others: do no harm to patients. And while intentional harm is rare, unintentional harm due to negligence or carelessness is common—and it can result in severe and life-changing injuries and illnesses for the patients who trusted those healthcare workers.
A Roanoke medical malpractice lawyer at Skolrood Law Firm knows how devastating it is for patients and their families when they’re victims of a careless doctor, surgeon, or other provider. We also know how important it is for patients to take the right steps to protect their health and their rights to compensation.
Those steps include:
- Contacting your healthcare provider – Healthcare issues can be complicated and multi-faceted, and it’s not always easy to determine if medical malpractice occurred. Call your physician or the hospital where you were treated to address any concerns you have about the treatment you received.
- Getting a second opinion or treatment from another provider – If the answers or explanations you received from your doctor, surgeon, or other medical professional weren’t satisfying—or if you feel that your health is still at risk—seeing another provider can help you learn more about what happened while stabilizing your health.
- Call a law firm that understands medical malpractice claims – Being the victim of a healthcare-related mistake or error can leave you facing expensive medical bills and weeks, months, or even years away from work. An experienced law firm wants to help you get the compensation you need to move forward with your life.
It’s important to act as soon as possible if you suspect medical malpractice, as evidence can disappear and hospitals and their insurance companies can begin preparing their defenses right away. Call today for a free consultation to find out how we may be able to help you and your loved ones.
February 1st, 2018
Victims with strong medical malpractice claims may be entitled to significant compensation for things like medical bills and lost wages after a healthcare professional’s mistake. But not everyone who wishes to file a claim has a strong case.
Because medical malpractice claims are so heavily dependent on evidence and often involve going up against big hospitals and healthcare partnerships, pursuing compensation can feel intimidating.
At Skolrood Law Firm, a Roanoke medical malpractice attorney knows that medical malpractice claims can seem confusing. We hope these frequently asked questions and their answers can clear up some common misconceptions about medical malpractice claims:
- What constitutes medical malpractice? Medical malpractice happens when a healthcare provider fails to uphold a recognized standard of care—any action that would be taken by any prudent medical provider in similar circumstances—when treating a patient.
- How can you determine that a patient is a victim of medical malpractice? Patients who experience bad outcomes or who receive ineffective treatments from medical professionals aren’t always victims of medical malpractice. Proving that malpractice occurred requires experience and the ability to link known symptoms and conditions with negligent treatment protocols and examinations.
If you have any additional questions about medical malpractice in Virginia—or if you think that you or someone you love were the victim of a healthcare provider’s negligence—don’t wait to get help. Call us today for a free consultation.
December 28th, 2017
Medical malpractice is a term that describes devastating and potentially fatal mistakes and oversights on behalf of doctors, surgeons, and other healthcare professionals that put patients in danger. But the burden of proof that indicates a healthcare worker was negligent falls on victims, and going up against big hospitals can feel intimidating.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke medical malpractice lawyers aren’t afraid to stand up for our clients against even the biggest hospitals and insurance companies. That’s because we know how to prove malpractice occurred. We do that by:
- Using expert witnesses – Although we’re well-versed in medical malpractice claims, we aren’t doctors. However, we can utilize expert witnesses who work in the medical field to support evidence we find that indicates malpractice occurred.
- Linking your injury or illness to a specific time – It’s not enough to present an illness or injury and claim it happened due to provider negligence. By collecting medical records and documentation, we can leave no doubt in the insurance company’s mind that you were harmed by a healthcare professional.
Don’t feel intimidated or scared by the thought of pursuing a claim for compensation against the doctor or hospital that hurt you. They should be held accountable for their negligence, and we want to fight for the compensation you deserve. Call today for a free consultation. We’re here to help.