July 5th, 2018
The medical field changes and saves lives every day throughout Virginia and the world. Doctors, surgeons, and other healthcare professionals do their best to help patients get the treatment they need to recover from illnesses and injuries.
But sometimes, healthcare providers are negligent in the way they care for their patients—and that can put innocent patients at risk of suffering serious complications. Medical malpractice is rare, but when it happens, it can be devastating.
To make matters worse, hospitals and insurance companies are well aware of the potential for medical malpractice, and they immediately go on the offensive when potential cases occur. That means victims are often beaten to the punch by big multi-billion-dollar corporations, leaving them facing an uphill battle to get compensation.
At Skolrood Law Firm, we know that pursuing compensation for injuries and illnesses suffered due to medical mistakes can be intimidating, especially when you’re on your own. That’s why a Roanoke medical malpractice attorney is here to help.
We know the tricks that hospitals and insurance companies use to get victims to give up or accept lowball settlements. It’s our goal to help you get the full compensation you deserve, and we accomplish that by collecting evidence and conclusively proving that your health condition was worsened due to negligent healthcare.
The hospital and insurance company want to protect their profits—not pay out big settlements to victims like you. Don’t give them the upper hand. Call us today for a free consultation to find out how we may be able to help.
May 10th, 2018
It’s normal for people who suffered injuries or developed illnesses to feel anxious and even apprehensive before visiting their doctors or going to hospitals to receive treatment. Those feelings are even more common before surgeries, including both out-patient and invasive procedures.
Despite the anxiety that patients feel, most trust the medical professionals in charge of their care to be attentive and cautious in everything they do. The unfortunate reality is that medical professionals are prone to making mistakes—and sometimes, those mistakes occur due to negligence.
A Roanoke medical malpractice lawyer at Skolrood Law Firm has helped many victims of healthcare provider mistakes get compensation for what they’ve been through.
Because of the complexities of medical malpractice claims, many myths are associated with them, including:
- Medical malpractice claims are mostly limited to surgical mistakes—While many medical malpractice claims are due to oversights such as operating on the wrong body part or leaving tools inside patients’ bodies, there are many other types of claims, including misdiagnosis, incorrect dosages of medications, and even unnecessary treatments.
- Acts of medical malpractice are unpreventable—While human error is a factor, most cases of medical malpractice are the result of carelessness or negligence and could have been prevented. It’s our goal to hold the responsible parties accountable for their negligence and help you get the compensation you deserve.
If you or someone you love were harmed while in the care of medical professionals, you deserve answers and a chance to get compensation for your malpractice-related expenses. Contact us today for a free consultation.
March 15th, 2018
People in the medical field have one duty to uphold above all others: do no harm to patients. And while intentional harm is rare, unintentional harm due to negligence or carelessness is common—and it can result in severe and life-changing injuries and illnesses for the patients who trusted those healthcare workers.
A Roanoke medical malpractice lawyer at Skolrood Law Firm knows how devastating it is for patients and their families when they’re victims of a careless doctor, surgeon, or other provider. We also know how important it is for patients to take the right steps to protect their health and their rights to compensation.
Those steps include:
- Contacting your healthcare provider – Healthcare issues can be complicated and multi-faceted, and it’s not always easy to determine if medical malpractice occurred. Call your physician or the hospital where you were treated to address any concerns you have about the treatment you received.
- Getting a second opinion or treatment from another provider – If the answers or explanations you received from your doctor, surgeon, or other medical professional weren’t satisfying—or if you feel that your health is still at risk—seeing another provider can help you learn more about what happened while stabilizing your health.
- Call a law firm that understands medical malpractice claims – Being the victim of a healthcare-related mistake or error can leave you facing expensive medical bills and weeks, months, or even years away from work. An experienced law firm wants to help you get the compensation you need to move forward with your life.
It’s important to act as soon as possible if you suspect medical malpractice, as evidence can disappear and hospitals and their insurance companies can begin preparing their defenses right away. Call today for a free consultation to find out how we may be able to help you and your loved ones.
February 1st, 2018
Victims with strong medical malpractice claims may be entitled to significant compensation for things like medical bills and lost wages after a healthcare professional’s mistake. But not everyone who wishes to file a claim has a strong case.
Because medical malpractice claims are so heavily dependent on evidence and often involve going up against big hospitals and healthcare partnerships, pursuing compensation can feel intimidating.
At Skolrood Law Firm, a Roanoke medical malpractice attorney knows that medical malpractice claims can seem confusing. We hope these frequently asked questions and their answers can clear up some common misconceptions about medical malpractice claims:
- What constitutes medical malpractice? Medical malpractice happens when a healthcare provider fails to uphold a recognized standard of care—any action that would be taken by any prudent medical provider in similar circumstances—when treating a patient.
- How can you determine that a patient is a victim of medical malpractice? Patients who experience bad outcomes or who receive ineffective treatments from medical professionals aren’t always victims of medical malpractice. Proving that malpractice occurred requires experience and the ability to link known symptoms and conditions with negligent treatment protocols and examinations.
If you have any additional questions about medical malpractice in Virginia—or if you think that you or someone you love were the victim of a healthcare provider’s negligence—don’t wait to get help. Call us today for a free consultation.
December 28th, 2017
Medical malpractice is a term that describes devastating and potentially fatal mistakes and oversights on behalf of doctors, surgeons, and other healthcare professionals that put patients in danger. But the burden of proof that indicates a healthcare worker was negligent falls on victims, and going up against big hospitals can feel intimidating.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke medical malpractice lawyers aren’t afraid to stand up for our clients against even the biggest hospitals and insurance companies. That’s because we know how to prove malpractice occurred. We do that by:
- Using expert witnesses – Although we’re well-versed in medical malpractice claims, we aren’t doctors. However, we can utilize expert witnesses who work in the medical field to support evidence we find that indicates malpractice occurred.
- Linking your injury or illness to a specific time – It’s not enough to present an illness or injury and claim it happened due to provider negligence. By collecting medical records and documentation, we can leave no doubt in the insurance company’s mind that you were harmed by a healthcare professional.
Don’t feel intimidated or scared by the thought of pursuing a claim for compensation against the doctor or hospital that hurt you. They should be held accountable for their negligence, and we want to fight for the compensation you deserve. Call today for a free consultation. We’re here to help.
December 7th, 2017
Medical malpractice is a term used to describe a wide variety of negligent mistakes that healthcare providers can make, including misdiagnosis, surgical errors, and medication errors. Victims of medical malpractice may experience severe health complications, and some instances of medical malpractice are fatal. Victims and their families can file claims for compensation for their medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering, but they often face uphill battles—especially when they’re going up against large hospitals and their networks.
At Skolrood Law Firm, it’s our goal to help victims and their families get the money they deserve when they’re harmed by a medical professional’s mistake. A Roanoke medical malpractice lawyer works to maximize victims’ chances of receiving favorable outcomes by:
- Collecting evidence that proves negligence – All successful medical malpractice claims start with proof. Without evidence or proof that a doctor, surgeon, or hospital made a mistake that put your health at risk, it will be difficult to get a fair settlement.
- Handling paperwork and meeting deadlines on your behalf – If your health was jeopardized by a medical professional, all you want is to get better. The last thing you should have to worry about is filling out paperwork and collecting documents. Let us handle that while you focus on recovery.
Don’t wait another day to get the experienced and proven legal representation you deserve for your medical malpractice claim. We have a track record of success, and we know what it takes to get the results you need. Call today for a free consultation.
October 19th, 2017
When you go to a clinic or hospital, you expect your healthcare provider to accurately diagnose your condition and create an effective treatment plan to manage your symptoms and help you get better. Unfortunately, some patients leave healthcare facilities in worse shape than when they arrived. Being injured or developing an illness after being treated by a doctor, surgeon, or other healthcare professional is devastating.
At Skolrood Law Firm, it’s our goal to help victims of medical malpractice. If you or someone you love were injured because of a medical professional’s error or negligence, you may be entitled to compensation for:
- Medical bills – Extended hospital stays, revision surgeries, physical rehabilitation, and prescription medications are just some of the medical expenses you might face.
- Lost wages – If you were hurt or developed an illness at a clinic or hospital, you may be out of work for a long time—and that means you’re not getting the paycheck your family depends on.
- Pain and suffering – Being injured by a healthcare provider can be traumatic. We’ll make sure the hospital, clinic, and insurance company know how the event affected your life.
If you suffered an injury or illness because of medical malpractice, a Virginia medical malpractice lawyer wants to help. You shouldn’t have to worry about filling out paperwork or the red tape that those claims often entail. Let us handle that on your behalf, so you can focus on getting better. Call today for a free consultation.
August 10th, 2017
Many people are nervous about going to the doctor or hospital, especially when they need surgery or other invasive treatments. And they expect doctors, surgeons, and other healthcare professionals to follow procedures that ensure safe and high-quality care.
Unfortunately, mistakes happen in doctors’ offices, hospitals, and private clinics throughout Virginia as a result of healthcare professionals’ negligence. This carelessness can cause patients to suffer severe and often life-threatening complications.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our law firm has helped many patients who suffered as a result of their healthcare providers’ negligence. Three common types of medical malpractice include:
- Misdiagnosis – When providers fail to thoroughly examine patients or investigate their symptoms and medical histories, they can misdiagnose their illnesses, resulting in ineffective or even harmful treatment.
- Surgical errors – Surgeons who fail to follow proper safety procedures may operate on the wrong body parts of patients, or fail to remove surgical tools before finishing procedures can cause irreparable harm to their patients.
- Medication errors – Doctors and other healthcare professionals can put patients’ lives at risk when they fail to double-check symptoms or the medications they prescribe—especially when patients are given incorrect dosages or the wrong medications.
Filing a claim for compensation after being injured or becoming sick because of a healthcare professional’s negligence can seem intimidating. But our legal team is ready to help so that you can focus on getting better. Contact us today for a free consultation, and let us put our experience to work for you.
June 29th, 2017
Your health is your most valuable asset, plain and simple. We trust our doctors and hospitals to protect our health through sound counsel and treatment. Although the medical profession has taken giant leaps in the past 100 years, new technology and knowledge are often accompanied by increased confidence. When doctors put ego above their patients’ well-being, the results can be devastating.
Medical malpractice occurs when medical negligence leads to the patient’s undue harm. For example, if your surgical staff makes an error that leads to health complications, you may have a medical malpractice case. Although it may seem pretty straightforward, proving medical malpractice in Roanoke can be anything but easy. You need an experienced legal team on your side to help determine what went wrong and why. That requires an in-depth investigation that you simply can’t take on yourself.
If you’ve suffered harm during surgery or other medical procedure, the medical malpractice lawyers at Skolrood may be able to help. Contact us today for a free, no-obligation consultation. We’ll review your case at no cost so you can get the answers you need with zero risk. You’ve been through so much already. It’s time you get the help you need. Contact us today.
May 8th, 2017
There are risks involved in any medical treatment. Even a routine doctor’s visit can lead to life-threatening complications. Those risks are compounded in the operating room. That’s why there are strict rules to protect the safety of patients and why so many doctors and surgeons carry medical malpractice insurance. They know there’s a chance their mistakes might one day cause injury to one of their patients.
If you feel like you’ve been the victim of medical malpractice, you should consider calling an attorney to better understand your options. The fact that the medical professional or hospital likely has insurance to compensate medical malpractice victims should be enough to convince you that the financial help you need may be available to you. However, securing compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, and more can be extremely difficult on your own. You need an experienced attorney fighting on your behalf to give you the best chance of receiving maximum compensation.
Call our experienced Roanoke medical malpractice attorneys today for a free, no-obligation consultation. We’ll investigate the cause of your injuries and fight to get you the compensation you deserve. You don’t have to go through this alone. Contact us today.