August 27th, 2020
Despite what their multi-million-dollar marketing campaigns might say, insurance companies don’t have your best interests in mind. It only seems that way on occasion when their best interests happen to align with the best interests of the people who they owe money to. And when those interests don’t align, victims end up getting much less money than they’re owed—and sometimes, none at all.
At Skolrood Law Firm, it’s our goal to keep insurance companies honest about the duty they owe to their policyholders and anyone injured by those policyholders. Unfortunately, insurance companies have decades of experience and techniques they use to get out of paying fair settlements. That’s how they report such big profits year after year. But it’s Roanoke personal injury lawyers like us who force them to uphold their end of the bargain.
If you or someone you love was hurt in an accident that wasn’t your fault, you need legal representation on your side. Without it, you’re rolling the dice on your financial recovery. You may get lucky and the insurance company may offer you a fair settlement, but the odds are against you. In addition, if you make even one minor mistake during the claim process, your entire settlement may disappear forever.
Don’t risk being a victim twice. You have too many medical bills and too many lost paychecks on the line to take a chance on getting burned by the insurance company. Get in touch with us today for a free consultation. We want to protect your rights to the money you’re owed, and we have the experience, resources, and track record of success to make it happen.
June 4th, 2020
At Skolrood Law Firm, we focus heavily on many specific types of accidents and injuries. That includes car accidents, motorcycle accidents, big truck accidents, brain injuries, medical malpractice, and more. But we know that injuries can happen anytime, anywhere—and when they do, innocent victims need help.
Above all else, our law firm is a personal injury law firm, and our Roanoke personal injury attorneys are here to assist people who were hurt through no fault of their own. When injured victims reach out to us for help, regardless of how their injuries occurred, we apply the same process to helping them get the money they deserve:
- We prove they weren’t at fault—This is the basis for all personal injury claims, and it starts with gathering evidence, including witness statements, police reports, and video footage.
- We determine how much money they’re owed—When they can’t outright deny claims, insurance companies rely on victims not knowing the true value of their accidents to pay them as little as possible. We work hard to ensure our clients know how much money they deserve.
- We demand full payment—Once we’ve determined a fair payment and proved the injury isn’t our client’s fault, we demand the insurance company pay its fair share. If they refuse to do so, we don’t hesitate to go to court.
Our thorough, hard-nosed process has helped many injured Virginians get the money they need to move forward with their lives after accidents and injuries that weren’t their fault. Now it’s your turn. Call today for a free consultation.
April 2nd, 2020
Like many states, Virginia is currently under a shelter-at-home order to reduce the transmission and risks of COVID-19. Despite government orders to stay at home as much as possible, Virginians are allowed to venture outdoors to walk their pets and to get exercise. For many people, cabin fever is already setting in, making the warm early spring days a sanity-restoring indulgence, especially when enjoyed via walks, bike rides, and motorcycle trips.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke personal injury lawyers want to remind everyone in our community to remain cautious and careful while getting exercise and enjoying the outdoors. Traffic may be lighter than usual, but that doesn’t mean you have free rein of the roads. Whether you’re traveling on foot, on a bicycle, or on a motorcycle, keep these tips in mind to stay safe:
- Avoid distractions—Keep your eyes on the road, your ears attuned to your surroundings, and your mind on the task at hand. Don’t walk around using your smartphone or listening to loud music. To stay safe, you need to be aware of your surroundings at all times.
- Use sidewalks, crosswalks, and bike lanes—If you’re walking or riding your bike, do those activities in designated areas. That means utilizing sidewalks and crosswalks as a pedestrian and bike lanes as a bicyclist.
- Wear safety gear—As a bicyclist, you should always wear a helmet to protect yourself in the event of an accident. If you ride a motorcycle, you need to wear even more gear, including a riding jacket, pants, boots, and gloves. And if you’re out during inclement weather or times of low visibility, wear brightly colored clothing.
Everyone is focused on the effects of COVID-19 right now, but it’s important to remain safe and avoid injuries while we wait for normalcy to resume. If you or someone you love gets injured because of someone else’s negligence, we’re here to help. Contact us today.
January 23rd, 2020
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke personal injury lawyers are here to help injured victims get maximum compensation after accidents that weren’t their fault. And while we do everything in our power to build strong, winning claims for our clients, there are a few things that injured victims must keep in mind before they seek help and while their claims are being built.
If you were recently injured through no fault of your own, the things you do—and don’t do—can have an impact on your chances of receiving compensation. It’s vital to avoid these missteps:
- Don’t wait too long to call a lawyer—Virginia’s statute of limitations for personal injury claims is two years from the date the injury occurred. While that may seem like plenty of time, it can pass quickly, especially if you’re dealing with serious injuries.
- Don’t talk about your injuries or claim on social media—No matter what type of injury you suffered, the other party’s insurance company is looking for ways to reduce or deny your claim. In 2020, that often means looking at your social media accounts for posts or pictures that can be used as evidence against you.
- Don’t accept the initial settlement offer—When insurance companies know they can’t deny claims, they may offer victims settlements right away. Those settlements are almost always insufficient to cover full accident-related expenses, and they’re designed to take advantage of victims who are desperate and in shock.
After an injury that wasn’t your fault, you need a legal advocate to protect your rights and help you make the right decisions. Contact us today for a free consultation.
November 28th, 2019
At Skolrood Law Firm, we know that auto accidents, motorcycle accidents, and truck accidents aren’t the only types of accidents that cause innocent people to suffer serious injuries. We handle a variety of injury claims that are caused by negligent people or parties, including:
- Brain and spinal cord injuries
- Nursing home abuse injuries
- Wrongful deaths
- And more
No matter what type of injury you suffered, there’s a good chance the insurance company will be reluctant to pay you the money you deserve. They may reduce your settlement or even deny it altogether. Insurance companies report huge profits year after year specifically because they’re adept at not paying people the settlements they’re owed.
Our Roanoke personal injury lawyers don’t let innocent victims get taken advantage of by greedy insurance companies. We build claims that are backed by evidence that they simply can’t ignore. Then, we calculate how much money our clients are owed for their medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. And finally, we present our claims and demand fair settlements. If they still refuse to pay, we don’t hesitate to take the cases to court.
Going it alone after an injury that wasn’t your fault means you’re leaving your financial recovery up to chance or even in the hands of an insurance adjuster who wants to pay you as little as possible. Contact us today, and let us level the playing field for you. We have years of experience helping injured victims, and we know the tricks insurance companies use to protect their profits.
September 5th, 2019
At Skolrood Law Firm, we’re dedicated to helping people who were hurt in auto accidents, motorcycle accidents, truck accidents, and more. But we know that not all injuries caused by other people’s negligence fall into easily categorized areas. Our Roanoke personal injury lawyers have experience handling a wide variety of claims, and we know how to build strong cases that get innocent victims the results they want.
Getting a lawyer after an injury that wasn’t your fault may be one of the most important decisions you’ll ever make. Insurance companies strongly resist paying victims the money they deserve for their medical bills and lost wages, and they’ll do everything in their power to reduce or deny your claim. But if you have an experienced law firm on your side, you can level the playing field.
Our legal team knows all the tactics that insurance companies use to get out of paying fair settlements. From convincing victims to admit fault and using their own words against them, to offering lowball settlements and even ignoring victims and hoping they’ll give up, we’ve seen and fought back against every trick in their book. When you call us, you’ll get a legal team that doesn’t take no for an answer and doesn’t play the insurance company’s games.
Don’t settle for just any law firm after an injury that wasn’t your fault, and don’t let the insurance company take advantage of you during this vulnerable time. Contact us today for a free consultation.
June 6th, 2019
Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) often have devastating consequences for victims and their loved ones. People who suffer TBIs may experience a wide range of debilitating symptoms, including physical symptoms such as headaches, nausea, and impaired motor skills and coordination. They also may develop cognitive deficits, including impaired memory, judgment, and personality changes.
The challenges associated with TBIs can be significant for victims and their families. Their physical and mental impairments may make it impossible for them to work, and when they’re not earning the paychecks their loved ones depend on, it can be difficult for them to keep up with their bills and daily living expenses.
In addition, many TBI victims require frequent medical care and attention, with some needing around-the-clock supervision. Paying for those treatments without a steady income is often out of reach for many victims and their families.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke brain injury attorneys believe that victims shouldn’t have to pay for their own TBI-related expenses out of pocket. We also believe they should get maximum compensation for what they’ve gone through—especially when their injuries occurred due to someone else’s negligence. That’s why we fight to help victims get the money they need for their medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
If you or someone you love suffered a TBI, we want to hear from you. Contact us today to find out how we may be able to help your family.
May 23rd, 2019
When you get treated by a doctor, surgeon, or other healthcare professional, there’s always a chance you won’t get the results you and your medical provider hope for. But sometimes, poor outcomes are due to the negligence of providers before, during, and after administering treatment or performing procedures. When that happens, medical malpractice may have occurred.
Proving medical malpractice isn’t easy. It requires a thorough investigation into everything from the initial diagnosis and treatment protocol to drug prescriptions and surgical procedures. When there’s enough evidence to support that medical malpractice occurred, victims may be entitled to significant compensation for things like:
- Medical bills—Medical malpractice often results in patients experiencing a significant worsening of their health, and it may even put their lives at risk. Victims who win medical malpractice claims may be compensated for their initial and subsequent medical costs.
- Lost wages—Medical malpractice victims may be unable to work for longer than expected, or they may even become permanently disabled. When they file medical malpractice claims, they may get compensation to replace their lost wages.
- Pain and suffering—Medical malpractice can cause patients to experience significant pain and trauma. They may lose their ability to enjoy hobbies and time spent with their families, and they may develop psychological conditions. Victims’ pain and suffering can and should be compensated.
At Skolrood Law Firm, we know how to build strong claims for victims when healthcare professionals fail to provide adequate care. If you suspect you or someone you love is a victim of medical malpractice, contact a Roanoke medical malpractice lawyer today for a free consultation.
May 16th, 2019
Insurance companies spend millions of dollars every year trying to convince the public that they have their best interests in mind. But ultimately, insurance companies want to maximize their profits—and that’s hard to accomplish when they’re paying fair settlements to accident victims.
If you were recently hurt in a crash, the insurance company will do its best to pay you as little as possible or even deny your claim altogether. To do that, it will compile evidence against you, and some of that evidence may include your own statements about the crash and your injuries.
To protect yourself and your rights to compensation, it’s important to keep the following rules of thumb in mind in the days, weeks, and months after your crash:
- Don’t talk about your accident on social media—When you file a compensation claim, an official record of what happened during the crash will be created. If any of your statements, including ones on social media, are contrary to that report, your claim could be jeopardized.
- Don’t prematurely admit fault for the accident—Auto accidents are often traumatic and confusing. It can be difficult to remember what happened, and you may believe you were fully or partially at fault. If you admit fault, you may be unable to get compensation, even if evidence later disproves that.
Contacting an experienced Roanoke auto accident lawyer right away after the crash can help you focus on recovering and avoid the worries and hassles associated with the insurance company and its team of adjusters. Call Skolrood Law Firm today for a free consultation.
May 9th, 2019
Statistically, accidents involving semi trucks are more likely to cause serious injuries than accidents involving cars, pickup trucks, and SUVs. In addition, big truck accidents are more legally complex, as multiple parties may be liable, including truck drivers, truck companies, and truck owners.
It’s important to take the right steps after a tractor-trailer accident to protect your health and your rights to compensation. Those steps include the following actions:
- Get medical attention—Injuries are common after semi-truck accidents, but they’re not always obvious. Getting evaluated and treated by a doctor can rule out or find internal injuries, while also creating an official record of your accident-related injuries.
- Get a lawyer—Because multiple parties may be held liable for a single truck accident, it’s important to have experienced legal representation on your side from the beginning. Truck accidents are legally complex, but a Roanoke truck accident attorney is here to help.
- Avoid social media—Truck companies and their insurance providers often push back hard against injury claims. They will go to great lengths to avoid paying victims the compensation they deserve, and that includes looking at victims’ social media for incriminating statements.
At Skolrood Law Firm, we know what you’re going through after a truck accident, and we want to help. Trust our experience and our track record of success in dealing with truck accident claims. Call today for a free consultation.