With the number of reported cases of nursing home abuse and neglect in Virginia, you may be wondering how you can determine whether or not your aging loved one has been a victim. The truth is abuse or neglect isn’t always apparent on a routine visit. You need to look for specific signs or indicators of abuse and ask the right questions of your loved one to uncover how they are truly being treated.
- Do you feel safe in the care of the attendees?
- Are you getting your medication at the same time every day?
- How often are you allowed to bathe or are assisted in bathing?
- Are you allowed to handle your own finances?
- Do you feel like your needs are being fully met?
Common signs of abuse or neglect that you should be looking for include:
- Bruises or apparent physical trauma
- Sudden and/or excessive weight loss
- Fleas, lice, or dirt on resident or in resident’s room
- Poor personal hygiene or other unattended health problems
- Torn clothing or broken personal items
- Unpleasant odors in room or facility
- Untreated bedsores, wounds, cuts, bruises, or welts
Every nursing home resident in Virginia deserves a certain standard of care. When that care is compromised, it’s time to get an experienced nursing home abuse attorney involved to ensure your aging loved one’s rights are protected. If you suspect your aging loved one has been the victim of nursing home abuse, contact us immediately. We’ll work quickly to protect your loved one while fighting to get them the compensation they deserve for what they’ve been through. Contact us today.