When someone is hurt in an auto accident and pursues a compensation claim against the other driver’s insurance company, they may face an uphill battle. But unless the injuries are catastrophic, insurance companies often cede to victims and offer settlements—especially when victims have lawyers on their side.
But truck accidents are different. That’s because the insurance policies associated with commercial trucks are often several times larger than those associated with passenger vehicles. Naturally, insurance companies don’t want to pay the money involved in those policies to victims, and that means they fight even more aggressively to reduce or deny valid claims.
At Skolrood Law Firm, we deal with overzealous and aggressive insurance companies every day, but their truly combative nature comes out when they’re facing claims from truck accident victims. Because insurance companies pull out all the stops to avoid paying settlements to those victims, it’s beneficial to have an experienced Roanoke truck accident lawyer on your side.
If you or someone you love were hurt in a truck accident, you need a legal advocate who understands the trucking industry and both state and federal laws concerning truck drivers, truck companies, and truck owners. Our legal team knows the ins and outs of the industry and the laws pertaining to it, and there’s nothing the insurance company can throw at us that we haven’t seen many times in the past.
Trust our experience and our track record of success. Call us today for a free consultation, and let us go to work for you.
Passenger vehicles are becoming safer due to advanced safety features and improved designs. That makes the average person on Virginia’s roadways safer than ever, but people who get around on two wheels still face significant dangers every time they travel.
Wearing all the gear, all the time can help riders reduce their risks, but it can’t eliminate them. And when accidents occur at high speeds or involve collisions with other vehicles or stationary objects, riders are at extreme risk of suffering disabling and even life-threatening injuries.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke motorcycle accident attorneys understand that riders face unique challenges both in their recoveries and in their abilities to pursue compensation for their accident-related expenses. That’s because insurance companies often view their claims with skepticism and are reluctant to pay them the money that they deserve—even when their accidents were caused by someone else’s negligence.
Common injuries associated with motorcycle accidents include:
- Head and neck injuries—Riders are at risk of suffering traumatic brain injuries during crashes, especially if they don’t wear helmets or wear helmets that don’t provide adequate protection. They also may suffer neck and spinal injuries that can result in paralysis.
- Broken bones—Riding gear can protect the skin during crashes, but riders may still suffer from broken bones. Compound fractures can require immediate medical intervention and require months of healing and rehabilitation.
Getting an experienced legal team on your side after your motorcycle accident can make all the difference when it comes to getting the compensation you deserve. Call us today for a free consultation.
If you were recently injured in an auto accident that wasn’t your fault, it’s important to remember that the insurance company wants to pay you as little as possible. Insurance companies report big profits every year, and they achieve that by finding ways to reduce or deny claims whenever they can.
They can get away with paying “lowball” settlements—or no settlements at all—to victims because they often count on victims making mistakes during the hours, days, or weeks after their accidents. One of the most prominent mistakes that victims make is talking about their accidents to the wrong people or in the wrong places.
At Skolrood Law Firm, we’ve seen many accident claims jeopardized after insurance companies and adjusters took victims’ words out of context and used them against them. You can reduce the chances of that happening by only talking about your accident with the following parties:
- Your immediate family—Everyone needs love and support after an accident, and your immediate family can help you through this difficult time.
- Your doctor—It’s important to be honest with your doctor about the severity and type of your injuries. The more information you provide, the easier it will be for him or her to treat you.
- Your lawyer—A Roanoke auto accident lawyer has your best interests at heart, and he will need to know all of the details about your crash to best serve you.
Be careful when talking about your crash with others, including coworkers, friends, or social media connections and followers. Adjusters can and will use your words against you if they have access to them.
Call today for a free consultation, and let us put our experience to work for you.
If you recently lost a loved one, you have enough on your mind already. You’re grieving your loss and doing your best to adjust alongside your family members. The last thing you should be focused on is dealing with the insurance company and the seemingly endless back and forth associated with compensation claims.
At Skolrood Law Firm, we can take that burden off of your shoulders. We know how difficult this time can be for your entire family, and that’s why we’ll do everything we can to allow you to focus on what’s most important.
When you choose our Roanoke wrongful death lawyers, you’ll get the following assistance:
- We’ll prove your loved one’s death was preventable and caused by negligence. Insurance companies are often reluctant to pay claims to surviving family members after wrongful deaths. But when they’re presented with compelling evidence, they often have no choice but to begin the process of offering a settlement.
- We’ll negotiate how much money your family deserves. Even when insurance companies concede and prepare a settlement, the money is often insufficient for families’ losses. We’ll determine how much money you deserve for things like medical bills, lost wages, and loss of companionship.
- We’ll handle all communication with the insurance company. When we take on your claim, the insurance company will have to go through us to get to you. That means you won’t be bothered by phone calls, emails, or social media messages from adjusters.
Get in touch with us today for a free consultation and to see how our years of experience can be put to work for your family.
Suffering a serious injury can have devastating effects on your life. In addition to causing you to experience pain and reduced quality of life, your injury also may make it difficult or impossible for you to work. And when you’re already facing expensive medical bills, you and your loved ones may experience significant financial hardship.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke personal injury lawyers believe that victims shouldn’t have to pay out of pocket for injuries that weren’t their fault. Whether you were hurt in an auto accident, a motorcycle accident, a truck accident, or during a medical procedure, you can count on us to give you the legal representation, advice, and advocacy you deserve.
It’s important to have an experienced law firm on your side when you pursue compensation for a personal injury claim. That’s because insurance companies are almost always reluctant to pay claims to victims. Big insurers make huge profits year after year, and those profits are due to them finding ways to reduce or deny valid claims from people like you.
With an attorney working on your behalf, the insurance company will know that it can’t easily give you the runaround or give you a “lowball” settlement that isn’t enough to cover even a fraction of your accident-related expenses. In addition, you’ll also get peace of mind knowing that the current and future costs related to your injuries have been calculated and presented to the insurance company. That means you won’t find yourself in need of more money just weeks or months after receiving your settlement check.
Call us today for a free consultation and to get the help you deserve.
Doctors, surgeons, and other healthcare professionals are highly trained and highly educated in their fields. When we get sick or injured, we trust them to make accurate diagnoses, provide care that’s appropriate for our health problems, and take the necessary precautions to prevent complications from occurring.
But like everyone else, medical providers can make mistakes. However, some medical mistakes are due to carelessness and negligence on the part of healthcare professionals. Common examples of negligent mistakes include failing to consult patient charts, leaving medical equipment inside patients’ bodies, operating on the wrong body parts, or prescribing the wrong medication.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke medical malpractice lawyers have seen the devastation that medical malpractice can cause patients and their families. If you or someone you love were recently treated by a healthcare professional and your health has worsened, there’s a chance you suffered from negligent care.
Medical malpractice isn’t always obvious, and sometimes it takes an experienced law firm to review the facts and determine if and when it happened. When you choose us to handle your malpractice claim, we’ll review all of the facts concerning what happened, including your health before and after your treatment and the potential mistakes or oversights that occurred while you were in the care of your doctor or surgeon.
Then, we’ll calculate how much money the malpractice may have cost you, and we’ll fight to get you every penny that you and your loved ones deserve. Contact us today for a free consultation. We’re ready to help.
Big trucks are essential parts of the modern U.S. economy. They’re responsible for transporting consumer goods thousands of miles, coast to coast, every day. But because of our nation’s dependence on those goods, trucks are becoming more and more common on highways and interstates—and that can create an increased risk of accidents.
In response to the threats that big trucks pose to other motorists, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), an extension of the U.S. Department of Transportation, created a list of requirements and regulations for the industry. Those rules apply to all parties involved in the industry, including truck drivers, owners, and companies.
However, those requirements and regulations are sometimes at odds with profits, and that means they’re ignored or violated. When FMCSA rules are broken and accidents occur, victims can file claims for compensation for expenses such as medical bills and lost wages.
A Roanoke truck accident lawyer at Skolrood Law Firm can review your truck accident for the following industry violations:
- Unqualified driver—Truck drivers in the U.S. must hold valid commercial driver licenses as well as certifications for oversized and specialized loads.
- Overloaded trailer—Trucks have weight limits on Virginia and U.S. roadways, but some trucks are overloaded to increase profits.
- Poorly maintained truck—Trucks are designed to drive for hundreds of thousands of miles, but they still need regular maintenance to ensure they’re safe on the road.
If your truck accident involved an FMCSA violation, we’re ready to pursue maximum compensation for you and your loved ones. Call us today for a free consultation.
Brain injuries can affect every part of your life. They can affect your ability to get out of bed and dress yourself, your ability to work and earn a living for your family, and even your ability to communicate with your loved ones.
At Skolrood Law Firm, we’ve seen firsthand how devastating brain injuries are for victims and their families. When traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) cause victims to lose their independence or make them rely on in-home nurses and healthcare aides, the expenses can be enormous and more than many families can afford.
That’s why it’s our goal to help victims and their loved ones get the compensation they deserve after such profound injuries. When you call our team of Roanoke brain injury lawyers, it’s our goal to help you by taking the following steps:
- We’ll calculate how much the TBI will cost your family. Our lawyers won’t just fight to get you the money you deserve today—we’ll fight to get you the money you deserve in the future, too. That includes current and future lost wages and medical bills.
- We’ll negotiate with the insurance company. Insurance companies are in business to make big profits, and that means they’re always looking to pay as little as possible to claimants. We know their tricks, and we won’t give up until we get an offer that’s fair for you.
TBIs are serious injuries that can have serious consequences on your family’s future. Get the experienced legal representation you deserve to maximize your chances of receiving full compensation. Call today for a free consultation.
With summer in full swing, there are plenty of motorcyclists on Virginia’s streets, highways, and interstates at any given time.
Most motorcyclists are well aware of the risks they face every time they head out to ride, and that’s why you’ll see many wearing full gear, including their riding jacket, pants, helmet, gloves, and boots.
But even if motorcyclists like you take all of the necessary precautions, you can still be seriously injured if you’re involved in an accident with another vehicle. That’s because motorcycles have no built-in safety features to protect riders.
To make matters worse, it can be extremely difficult for injured riders to get compensation for their injuries. That’s because insurance companies are often biased against motorcyclists, and their adjusters may believe that motorcyclists themselves are to blame for their accidents.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke motorcycle accident attorneys fight to dispel negative stereotypes and biases that cause innocent riders like you to be denied a chance to get compensation for your accident-related expenses. When you choose us to handle your claim, we achieve that by taking the following steps:
- We’ll prove the accident wasn’t your fault—Our legal team will collect evidence that shows the driver caused the crash, including the police accident report, witness statements, and even accident reconstruction data.
- We’ll prove your injuries occurred during the crash—Insurance companies can and often do deny victims compensation if they don’t believe their injuries are linked to a particular accident. We’ll collect medical reports and even call on expert medical witnesses to prove your injuries were a direct result of the crash.
Let us help you get the respect, attention, and outcome you deserve from the insurance company. Call our legal team today for a free consultation.
Whether you’re pursuing a claim on your own or with the help of an attorney, one of the first things you’ll realize is that the burden of proof falls on you. That means you must prove to the insurance company that you weren’t at fault for the crash, that your injuries are real, and that your injuries are linked to the accident.
Unfortunately, insurance companies are often skeptical of car accident claims right away. That’s because they’re eager to both protect their profits and avoid paying out money to people who are trying to commit insurance fraud.
Thankfully, there are other parties you may be able to lean on during this time who can help you establish the facts of your case and increase your chances of getting full compensation. Those parties include:
- The responding police officer—When you call 911 after an auto accident in Virginia, a police officer will be dispatched to the scene. He or she will survey the accident and create a report of what happened. That information can serve as evidence to support your claim.
- The witnesses who saw the crash happen—Statements from neutral third parties can help prove who was at fault for your crash and establish your innocence.
- The healthcare professionals who treated you after the crash—Getting immediate medical attention is important not only for protecting your health, but also for protecting your rights. The doctors and nurses who treat you will create a record of your injuries, and that can be used to directly link your injuries to the crash.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke car accident attorneys utilize all relevant parties and information as we fight to get victims the compensation they deserve after a crash. Call us today for a free consultation.