At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke wrongful death lawyers have helped many families like yours after the death of a loved one.
We know that you’re going through one of the most difficult times in your life. Dealing with the legal process, the insurance company, and the paperwork that goes along with filing a claim may seem like the last thing you want to do.
It’s important to remember that the loss of a loved one can affect you in many ways, including financially. That’s especially true if the deceased was the major or primary income-earner for your household. Just as victims and their families can file claims for compensation after negligence-related accidents and injuries, so too can surviving family members after negligence leads to deaths.
In addition to getting compensation for things like your loved one’s lost wages, funeral costs, and medical bills, as well as your pain and suffering and loss of companionship, filing a wrongful death lawsuit can also help deter future negligence in the form of punitive damages.
Punitive damages are awarded to victims’ family members after wrongful death claims, and they’re designed as a form of financial punishment for the responsible parties.
Pursuing compensation is a personal decision after the death of a loved one, but getting the money you and your loved ones deserve after your loss can help you move forward with your lives and honor the memory of the family member you lost.
To find out how we may be able to help you during this difficult time, call us or fill out a free consultation form.
The medical field changes and saves lives every day throughout Virginia and the world. Doctors, surgeons, and other healthcare professionals do their best to help patients get the treatment they need to recover from illnesses and injuries.
But sometimes, healthcare providers are negligent in the way they care for their patients—and that can put innocent patients at risk of suffering serious complications. Medical malpractice is rare, but when it happens, it can be devastating.
To make matters worse, hospitals and insurance companies are well aware of the potential for medical malpractice, and they immediately go on the offensive when potential cases occur. That means victims are often beaten to the punch by big multi-billion-dollar corporations, leaving them facing an uphill battle to get compensation.
At Skolrood Law Firm, we know that pursuing compensation for injuries and illnesses suffered due to medical mistakes can be intimidating, especially when you’re on your own. That’s why a Roanoke medical malpractice attorney is here to help.
We know the tricks that hospitals and insurance companies use to get victims to give up or accept lowball settlements. It’s our goal to help you get the full compensation you deserve, and we accomplish that by collecting evidence and conclusively proving that your health condition was worsened due to negligent healthcare.
The hospital and insurance company want to protect their profits—not pay out big settlements to victims like you. Don’t give them the upper hand. Call us today for a free consultation to find out how we may be able to help.
Temperatures and humidity have been high so far this summer in Roanoke, and that can make wearing full riding gear more uncomfortable than usual for motorcyclists.
But forgoing any aspect of riding gear can significantly increase the risk of serious injuries during accidents. “All the gear, all the time” is a common phrase in the motorcycle community, and it means that you should never ride anywhere, whether it’s a cross-country road trip or a short drive down the street, without proper protective gear.
Some riders may ride with only their helmets on during the summer to avoid the heat, but they risk many serious injuries, including:
- Road rash—Any exposed skin can be subject to painful and debilitating road rash during motorcycle accidents. There’s no part of the body that’s likely to be spared during a crash, and that’s why it’s vital for riders to wear gear that covers as much skin as possible.
- Lost digits—Gloves and riding boots do more than just protect skin—they can also protect fingers and toes from severe injuries that can result in severe nerve damage and partial or complete amputation. Gloves and boots that are designed for riding serve as an important line of defense during accidents, and riders should never get on their bikes without wearing them.
Motorcycle safety gear has come a long way in recent years, and it’s easy to find gear that’s breathable and comfortable, even when it’s hot outside.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke motorcycle accident lawyers know that wearing protective gear can reduce the risk of injuries, but it can’t reduce the risk of accidents—especially when other drivers are negligent.
If you were injured by a careless driver, we’re here to help. Call today for a free consultation.
Nursing homes are supposed to be places where people who have difficulty living independently can receive around-the-clock care and attention. But at some nursing homes, residents face mistreatment from staff members, including neglect and abuse.
At Skolrood Law Firm, it’s our goal to stand up for the rights of both mistreated nursing home residents and their family members. Not only are nursing homes supposed to abide by a strict set of guidelines established by the Virginia Department of Health, but they also must uphold residents’ rights in everything they do.
Unfortunately, some nursing homes fail to train or vet new employees, creating situations where staff members put residents in harm either directly or indirectly. If your loved one was harmed in a nursing home, it’s our goal to help in two important ways:
- Prove the nursing home was negligent—Whether it was due to relaxed hiring practices, ineffective management, or willful violations of state laws, we can investigate your loved one’s abuse or neglect to prove it originated with negligence.
- Link your loved one’s health problems to abuse or neglect—Proving a nursing home was negligent isn’t always enough to win—it’s also essential to prove the negligence caused health problems. We’ll use medical records and even expert witnesses to leave no doubt about what caused your loved one’s health problems.
It’s common for truck accident victims to face long roads to recovery, complete with expensive medical bills and weeks, months, or even years without steady income due to disabling injuries.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke truck accident lawyers have helped many victims during this difficult process, and we know that it can be tiring, frustrating, and nerve-wracking. But we also know that it’s a sensitive process, and insurance companies are always looking for ways to reduce or deny payments to innocent victims like you.
Some of the most common reasons that claims are reduced or denied are due to seemingly minor mistakes victims make in the aftermaths of their crashes. Some of those mistakes include:
- Waiting too long to get medical treatment—Injuries aren’t always obvious after crashes, and sometimes it takes a while for them to show up. But victims should always get medical attention right away after crashes. In addition to treating known injuries, it also rules out internal injuries and creates valuable evidence in the form of medical records.
- Waiting too long to call a lawyer—Truck accidents can involve multiple parties, and levels of responsibility may be shared among them. But when victims wait too long to begin pursuing their claims, evidence may disappear, making it difficult to determine who caused their crashes. In addition, statutes of limitations may expire when victims don’t act quickly.
With our experienced legal team on your side, you won’t have to worry about small mistakes costing you the money you need to move forward with your life. It’s our goal to handle everything for you while you focus on getting better. Call today for a free consultation.
If you were recently involved in a car crash, you have a lot of things on your mind, including when you and your loved ones will get better, how you’ll pay for your medical bills, and how soon you can go back to work.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke car accident lawyers know how difficult the days, weeks, and months after crashes are for victims and their families. That’s why we do everything we can to make this time as easy as possible for our clients.
You have enough on your mind after a crash that wasn’t your fault. Get in touch with us today and let us take some of the stress of the accident off your shoulders by assisting in the following ways:
- We’ll handle communication with the insurance company—Every time car accident victims speak with insurance adjusters, they risk losing their chances of pursuing compensation. That’s because adjusters are trained to use victims’ words against them to reduce or deny payments.
- We’ll gather and present paperwork on your behalf—When you’re recovering after a car accident, the last thing you want to do is hunt down police records and medical reports. Leave that up to our legal team while you focus on getting better.
- We’ll negotiate to get you maximum compensation—Insurance companies frequently offer victims “lowball” settlements that aren’t enough to pay for their accident-related expenses. You can count on us to calculate how much the accident cost you and to fight to get you that full amount.
We’re ready to help you move forward with your life after your car accident. Call today for a free consultation.
When an accident or injury causes damage to a bodily organ, the consequences can be severe and even life-threatening. But some organs have regenerative capabilities or the option of transplantation in the event of serious illness or injury.
The exception to that rule is the brain. When parts of the brain are damaged during accidents or due to illnesses, victims may not experience significant healing or recovery. That means traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) can have profound and lifelong effects on victims.
Some of the most common ways that TBIs affect victims include:
- Cognitive and personality changes—TBI victims may experience a reduction in their cognitive abilities. They also may experience changes in personality, and their general dispositions may change dramatically. Some victims may experience significant depression and anxiety after their injuries.
- Reduction in fine motor skills—TBI victims also may find it difficult to complete tasks that were previously easy for them, including driving, getting dressed, eating, and walking. That can make it impossible for some victims to hold down jobs or even live independently due to their newfound disabilities.
When TBIs are severe, victims may require around-the-clock supervision and assistance. That type of care can be expensive—especially when the victim is no longer able to work.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke brain injury lawyers help victims and their families recover the compensation they deserve after TBIs that were caused by another person’s or party’s negligence.
Get in touch with us today for a free consultation to find out how we may be able to help.
If you’re a motorcyclist, you know that you face a lot of hazards on Virginia’s roadways that may not affect drivers in cars, trucks, and SUVs. Potholes, loose gravel, and wet asphalt can cause even the most experienced riders to lose control of their bikes.
Other vehicles are another significant risk factor, especially when drivers aren’t actively looking out for motorcyclists. There’s no scenario more dangerous for motorcyclists than inattentive drivers who are making left turns.
Whether they’re at intersections or they’re turning from a stopped position in the middle of the road, drivers don’t always look for motorcyclists before turning left. And when motorcyclists are approaching their position, serious accidents can occur.
You can reduce your risks of being involved in this type of accident by:
- Spotting vehicles that may be turning left early—As you approach an intersection, be on the lookout for vehicles in left turn lanes. Stay focused on them as you get closer, and be prepared to slow down if one of the vehicles turns left into your path.
- Wearing brightly colored riding gear—One of the biggest reasons that drivers turn left into the paths of motorcyclists is because they don’t see them. Motorcycles are small and low-profile compared to cars, trucks, and SUVs. You can make yourself more visible by wearing safety gear that’s brightly colored and reflective.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke motorcycle accident lawyers are here to help if you or someone you love were hurt by a left-turning driver. It’s our goal to help you maximize your chances of getting the compensation you deserve. Call today for a free consultation.
Dealing with the death of a loved one can be overwhelming. You need time to grieve, but you also may be worried about how you and your family will stay on top of bills and everyday living expenses—especially if the deceased was the primary income earner for your household.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke wrongful death lawyers are here to take some of that burden off your shoulders. You shouldn’t have to spend time worrying about the legal side of your loved one’s death—you have enough to deal with already.
It’s our goal to do everything we can for you and your family. If you choose us to handle your case, you can find peace of mind knowing that our attorneys will:
- Collect evidence that proves your loved one’s death was avoidable—Whether your loved one was killed in a motor vehicle accident, a work-related accident, or due to a medical mistake, we’ll make sure the insurance company knows that his or her death was preventable, avoidable, and caused by another person’s or party’s negligence.
- Calculate how much money you’re owed—Medical bills, funeral expenses, and current and future lost income can turn many households upside down after a death. We’ll calculate how much you’re owed for your loss, and we’ll fight to maximize your chances of getting it.
Let us handle the paperwork and communication with the insurance company, while you focus on taking care of your family and honoring your loved one’s memory. Call today for a free consultation.
It’s normal for people who suffered injuries or developed illnesses to feel anxious and even apprehensive before visiting their doctors or going to hospitals to receive treatment. Those feelings are even more common before surgeries, including both out-patient and invasive procedures.
Despite the anxiety that patients feel, most trust the medical professionals in charge of their care to be attentive and cautious in everything they do. The unfortunate reality is that medical professionals are prone to making mistakes—and sometimes, those mistakes occur due to negligence.
A Roanoke medical malpractice lawyer at Skolrood Law Firm has helped many victims of healthcare provider mistakes get compensation for what they’ve been through.
Because of the complexities of medical malpractice claims, many myths are associated with them, including:
- Medical malpractice claims are mostly limited to surgical mistakes—While many medical malpractice claims are due to oversights such as operating on the wrong body part or leaving tools inside patients’ bodies, there are many other types of claims, including misdiagnosis, incorrect dosages of medications, and even unnecessary treatments.
- Acts of medical malpractice are unpreventable—While human error is a factor, most cases of medical malpractice are the result of carelessness or negligence and could have been prevented. It’s our goal to hold the responsible parties accountable for their negligence and help you get the compensation you deserve.
If you or someone you love were harmed while in the care of medical professionals, you deserve answers and a chance to get compensation for your malpractice-related expenses. Contact us today for a free consultation.