When you get treated by a doctor, surgeon, or other healthcare professional, there’s always a chance you won’t get the results you and your medical provider hope for. But sometimes, poor outcomes are due to the negligence of providers before, during, and after administering treatment or performing procedures. When that happens, medical malpractice may have occurred.
Proving medical malpractice isn’t easy. It requires a thorough investigation into everything from the initial diagnosis and treatment protocol to drug prescriptions and surgical procedures. When there’s enough evidence to support that medical malpractice occurred, victims may be entitled to significant compensation for things like:
- Medical bills—Medical malpractice often results in patients experiencing a significant worsening of their health, and it may even put their lives at risk. Victims who win medical malpractice claims may be compensated for their initial and subsequent medical costs.
- Lost wages—Medical malpractice victims may be unable to work for longer than expected, or they may even become permanently disabled. When they file medical malpractice claims, they may get compensation to replace their lost wages.
- Pain and suffering—Medical malpractice can cause patients to experience significant pain and trauma. They may lose their ability to enjoy hobbies and time spent with their families, and they may develop psychological conditions. Victims’ pain and suffering can and should be compensated.
At Skolrood Law Firm, we know how to build strong claims for victims when healthcare professionals fail to provide adequate care. If you suspect you or someone you love is a victim of medical malpractice, contact a Roanoke medical malpractice lawyer today for a free consultation.
Insurance companies spend millions of dollars every year trying to convince the public that they have their best interests in mind. But ultimately, insurance companies want to maximize their profits—and that’s hard to accomplish when they’re paying fair settlements to accident victims.
If you were recently hurt in a crash, the insurance company will do its best to pay you as little as possible or even deny your claim altogether. To do that, it will compile evidence against you, and some of that evidence may include your own statements about the crash and your injuries.
To protect yourself and your rights to compensation, it’s important to keep the following rules of thumb in mind in the days, weeks, and months after your crash:
- Don’t talk about your accident on social media—When you file a compensation claim, an official record of what happened during the crash will be created. If any of your statements, including ones on social media, are contrary to that report, your claim could be jeopardized.
- Don’t prematurely admit fault for the accident—Auto accidents are often traumatic and confusing. It can be difficult to remember what happened, and you may believe you were fully or partially at fault. If you admit fault, you may be unable to get compensation, even if evidence later disproves that.
Contacting an experienced Roanoke auto accident lawyer right away after the crash can help you focus on recovering and avoid the worries and hassles associated with the insurance company and its team of adjusters. Call Skolrood Law Firm today for a free consultation.
Statistically, accidents involving semi trucks are more likely to cause serious injuries than accidents involving cars, pickup trucks, and SUVs. In addition, big truck accidents are more legally complex, as multiple parties may be liable, including truck drivers, truck companies, and truck owners.
It’s important to take the right steps after a tractor-trailer accident to protect your health and your rights to compensation. Those steps include the following actions:
- Get medical attention—Injuries are common after semi-truck accidents, but they’re not always obvious. Getting evaluated and treated by a doctor can rule out or find internal injuries, while also creating an official record of your accident-related injuries.
- Get a lawyer—Because multiple parties may be held liable for a single truck accident, it’s important to have experienced legal representation on your side from the beginning. Truck accidents are legally complex, but a Roanoke truck accident attorney is here to help.
- Avoid social media—Truck companies and their insurance providers often push back hard against injury claims. They will go to great lengths to avoid paying victims the compensation they deserve, and that includes looking at victims’ social media for incriminating statements.
At Skolrood Law Firm, we know what you’re going through after a truck accident, and we want to help. Trust our experience and our track record of success in dealing with truck accident claims. Call today for a free consultation.
The loss of a loved one is one of the most difficult experiences you can go through in your life. The grief and shock you’re experiencing can be even worse if your loved one’s death was preventable and was caused by another person’s or party’s negligence.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke wrongful death attorneys have helped many grieving family members just like you after their loved ones died due to the carelessness of others. You shouldn’t have to go through this difficult time on your own, and you shouldn’t have to pay for the expenses related to your loved one’s death out of your own pocket.
When you hire our legal team, we can provide the following assistance:
- We’ll collect evidence to determine who was at fault—Whether your loved one died in an auto accident, a workplace accident, or due to medical mistakes, we’ll collect evidence that leaves no doubt about their cause of death.
- We’ll determine how much money your family is owed—Losing a loved one isn’t just emotionally devastating—it can also be financially devastating. We’ll determine how much money your family should receive, including compensation for medical bills, funeral costs, and lost companionship.
- We’ll negotiate with the insurance company—The last thing you should deal with is the back-and-forth with the insurance company after your loved one’s death. Let us handle that instead. It’s our goal to get you every penny you deserve.
Don’t go it alone after your loved one’s death. Call Skolrood Law Firm today for a free consultation.
It’s important to be attentive when you visit your loved one in the nursing home. Although most nursing homes provide high-quality care and assistance with daily living tasks, some put residents’ health and even their lives in danger due to focusing on profits rather than resident well-being.
The next time you visit your loved one at his or her care facility, be on the lookout for the following signs of mistreatment:
- Unexplained bruises and other signs of physical trauma—If you see signs of trauma on your loved one’s body, ask him or her what happened. If they’re unable to explain, ask a nurse or caregiver. They could be signs of abuse.
- Sudden weight loss—Nursing home residents can be neglected when they don’t receive adequate nutrition. Staff members may withhold food or fail to diagnose conditions that can make eating difficult or uncomfortable, resulting in weight loss and declining physical health.
- Personality changes—When residents become depressed, withdrawn, or even fearful, it may be due to mistreatment, including abuse and neglect, in their care facilities. In addition to physical abuse, residents may be subject to verbal and sexual abuse by caretakers and staff members.
Were you recently involved in a motorcycle accident? If so, you may be suffering from serious injuries that make it difficult or impossible for you to go back to work—and when you’re not working, you’re not earning the paychecks your family depends on. That means you may be struggling to pay for your family’s day-to-day expenses, let alone your medical bills.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke motorcycle accident lawyers know how painful, debilitating, and expensive motorcycle crashes can be for victims. You have enough to deal with already—the last thing you need is weeks or months of back and forth with the insurance company while trying to get the money you deserve. Let us handle that on your behalf while you focus on getting better.
When you choose us to handle your claim, we can collect evidence that proves you weren’t at fault for your accident. Then, we’ll calculate how much money you and your loved ones need to move forward with your lives, including compensation for your current and future medical bills and lost wages. Finally, we’ll negotiate with the insurance company to maximize your chances of getting every penny you deserve.
Insurance companies don’t always treat motorcycle accident victims fairly, and that means you may be fighting an uphill battle from the day you file your claim. We’re ready to help level the playing field for you, and we want to use our experience and resources to stay one step ahead of the insurance company. Call today for a free consultation.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our attorneys are dedicated to helping innocent victims get compensation after they suffer injuries that affect their ability to work and earn a living for their families. Many injuries can result in temporary or permanent disability, but traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) are unique due to their capacity to cause permanent personality, cognitive, and behavioral changes in victims.
People who suffer TBIs can experience a wide range of side effects and complications. Some victims may experience only minor effects, while others may experience profound difficulties in everyday life. It’s not uncommon for TBI victims to require assistance with day-to-day living tasks, while others may need around-the-clock care and supervision.
The stress that TBIs put on both victims and their loved ones can be overwhelming, especially when victims were the primary income-earners for their households. The costs associated with TBIs, including rehabilitation, can be enormous and difficult to manage on a reduced family income.
If you or someone you love suffered a TBI because of another person’s or party’s negligence, you deserve maximum compensation. Our Roanoke traumatic brain injury lawyers know what you’re going through, and it’s our goal to help you get the money you need for medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Don’t trust just any law firm with your family’s recovery after such a serious injury. Contact us today for a free consultation, and let us put our experience to work for you.
Despite commercials and marketing campaigns reassuring drivers that insurance companies will have their backs after accidents, many car crash victims face hurdles when they pursue compensation. Because insurance companies are in business to make big profits, they reduce or sometimes deny the settlements that innocent victims deserve for accident-related expenses, including medical bills and lost wages.
Insurance companies employ teams of adjusters whose job is to find ways to pay victims as little as possible after their accidents. In many cases, adjusters spend hours talking to victims on the phone or online to gain their trust, but they often use their own statements against them to reduce or deny their claims. At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke auto accident attorneys believe that victims should be on a level playing field after crashes, and that’s where we come in.
If you or someone you love was recently injured in a crash that wasn’t your fault, you need an experienced legal team on your side that can protect you form the insurance company’s tricks and tactics. It can be difficult to navigate the claims process if you’ve never been involved in a serious accident before, especially when you’re trying to recover from your injuries and get back to work.
We stay one step ahead of insurance companies, and we know how to build claims that get results. Contact us today for a free consultation.
If you experienced health problems or complications after being treated by a medical professional, there’s a chance that you’re a victim of medical malpractice. However, getting compensation for your malpractice-related expenses, including additional medical bills and lost wages, requires proving that your doctor, surgeon, or other provider was negligent while treating you.
Filing a claim requires plenty of evidence that healthcare administrators and insurance adjusters can’t deny. Unfortunately, that evidence isn’t always easy to find. Many medical mistakes can be attributed to causes other than negligence or carelessness, making it difficult for victims to get their compensation claims off the ground, let alone get favorable outcomes.
At Skolrood Law Firm, our Roanoke medical malpractice attorneys can investigate your injury, illness, or complications and determine if medical malpractice occurred. If we find that malpractice occurred, we can aggressively pursue evidence that supports the fact that you were harmed by people who were supposed to protect you. That includes collecting medical records, interviewing witnesses and involved parties, and even enlisting the help of medical professionals to determine what happened and why you suffered harm.
Don’t let the healthcare industry deny you the money you deserve after everything you’ve been through. You put your trust in medical professionals, and they violated it by not giving you the attention and care you’re entitled to. Contact us today for a free consultation to find out how we may be able to help.
Big trucks represent a small percentage of vehicles on Virginia’s roadways, but their sheer size and weight makes it difficult to miss them. In fact, semi-trucks can be dozens of feet in length, and they can weigh up to 80,000 pounds when they’re fully loaded.
The size differences between tractor trailers and even the largest pickup trucks and SUVs means that occupants of passenger vehicles are at a high risk of suffering serious injuries during big truck accidents. Although many truck accidents are due to factors out of victims’ control, some crashes are caused by drivers who aren’t aware of the unique challenges and risks associated with driving semi-trucks.
Because truck drivers sit high off the ground in tractor trailers, they have enormous blind spots surrounding their cabins and their trailers. Those blind spots are called “No Zones,” and they include:
- 20 feet in front of the cabin—Truck drivers may have difficulty seeing vehicles that are approximately one full car length in front of them.
- 1 lane underneath the driver side door—When truck drivers look out of their windows, they may be unable to see vehicles directly next to and below them.
- 2 lanes underneath and behind the passenger side door—Truck drivers can’t see the road next to their passenger side doors, and their mirrors are limited when showing that angle as well.
- 30 feet behind the trailer—If you can’t see a truck’s mirrors, the driver can’t see you. This “No Zone” is roughly two car lengths long.
If you or someone you love was hurt in an accident involving a big truck, contact a Roanoke truck accident lawyer today. We’re ready to investigate your crash and fight to get you the compensation you deserve. Call today for a free consultation.