Calling a lawyer for a free consultation after an accident is an important decision, but it’s not one you should make lightly. Choosing the right law firm is essential to the success of your claim. Doing so requires a general understanding of the injury claim process. Here are the 5 stages of a personal injury claim:
- Consultation—The first step to a personal injury claim is a free consultation with an attorney. The goal of this consultation from your perspective is to determine whether the law firm is a good fit. From the law firm’s perspective, the goal is to determine whether or not you have a case.
- Investigation—Once you secure legal representation, your attorney and his/her team of investigators will start investigating the cause of your injuries. At Skolrood Law Firm, this stage includes examining the accident scene, interviewing witnesses, scrutinizing the accident report, and consulting with medical professionals to determine the extent of your injuries. The investigative process is vital to your case, as it is the cornerstone for all that follows.
- Demand—The next step is presenting a demand for monetary compensation to the insurance company based on what was discovered in the investigative process. You can expect the insurance company to push back on this first request for compensation, as they want to pay as little as possible for your injuries.
- Negotiation—After the initial demand is submitted, the insurance company will more than likely present a counter settlement offer. This begins the negotiations process. The goal for both parties is to come to a mutually agreeable compromise for compensation. Whether or not that’s possible determines how the next stage will unfold.
- Settlement/Trial—If a settlement agreement is made, then you’ll receive compensation relatively quickly. If the insurance company refuses to play fair in the negotiation process, then you have the option to file a lawsuit and take the fight to the courtroom where it will be settled in a trial.
If you’ve been injured, give our Roanoke personal injury attorneys a call today for your free consultation. We have both the knowledge and experience to maximize your injury claim, and we’re ready to put that experience to work for you.