Carbon Monoxide Dangers

Several Suffer Roanoke Personal Injuries due to Carbon Monoxide Exposure

by Staff Blogger | January 24th, 2013

Jan. 24, 2013

Some of the coldest temperatures of the winter season are now bearing down over the region. This means that it is important to check that all natural gas-burning appliances, especially furnaces, are working properly to eliminate the risk of Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning. This was recently highlighted by the case of a CO build-up at a Salem, Virginia, apartment complex.

According to a story posted on firehouse.com, the incident occurred at approximately 6 p.m. in the afternoon on Sunday, Jan. 6 at the Chestnut Manor Apartments located on Chestnut Street. Salem firefighters were called to the scene after receiving a report of a CO detector being set off at the facility. By the time firefighters arrived, levels of the toxic gas had already climbed to more than 400 parts per million in the building. Several residents suffered a Roanoke Personal Injury and were transported to a local hospital for treatment.

Experts say an individual can feel the effects of levels of CO as low as 35 parts per million. Inhaling the gas for too long can lead to a person feeling dizzy, tired, nauseous, or disoriented and can ultimately lead to unconsciousness and death.

The Roanoke Personal Injury Attorneys with Skolrood Law Firm believe the best way to protect your family from the dangers of CO is to ensure your home has a functioning CO detector. Then, be sure to check its batteries on a regular basis to ensure it is working at all times.