Tonight is New Year’s Eve, which means there will be plenty of activities and celebrations taking place across the city of Roanoke. These events can lead to an increase in traffic and the number of dangerous drivers who will be on the road, which is why the Roanoke car accident lawyers at the Skolrood Law Firm would like to offer these safety tips to help keep you safe:
- Know Your Route- There will be several road closures taking place in Roanoke, which could cause traffic delays. A report from WSLS 10 News outlines some of the streets to avoid, so be sure the route to your destination bypasses these areas.
- Watch For Pedestrians- There will be more people than usual walking this evening, so be sure to slow down and look twice when approaching an intersection or crosswalk.
- Don’t Drink and Drive- Intoxicated motorists cause a disproportionate number of motor vehicle fatalities and injuries, especially on New Year’s Eve. That’s why you should never get behind the wheel of a vehicle after consuming alcohol. Call a cab or use a designated driver to get home instead. Also, remember to report any suspected drunk drivers you seen on the road.
- Buckle Up- Wearing a seatbelt significantly reduces the chances of injury or death in the event of an accident.
- Be Prepared- Not all accidents can be avoided. That’s why it’s important to have all of your vehicle’s documentation handy and know what to do after a car accident occurs.
We hope you have happy and safe travels this New Year!